Cobra Travis edition

My father in law has a cobra bass boat. That has been sitting for several years. I do not know anything about them and was trying to get some info. All that I know about it is that it’s the Travis edition. Not sure on model number but is around 20-21 ft. I am looking to buy this boat from him and was wondering what to look for and what might be fair. Any info would be appreciated. Boat supposedly ran fine when park he just to old to get in and out of it anymore.

Sure it’s not a Cajuin? I’ve never heard Cobra doing anything for Travis.

3. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Yeah, I remember Cobra Travis Edition after Cajun went away. We had a Travis Boating Center here back in the day.

4. Member
    Well, if you don't want to buy it let me know!!!

5. Banned
    I have a cobra travis edition. Great boat. Test it out and look at the transom

6. Member
    Ok I have heard several things about checking the transom. What is best way to check it besides bouncing on motor. Or looking for flex

7. Member
    I have a 97' cobra 201D travis edition..very very comfortable on the water, fishing and driving..as far as the transom I can lift up on the lower unit and the boat lifts with it, no flex or slack whatsoever.

Without knowing the year, model, motor, trailer, etc., it's impossible to know what fair would be. Most Cobras contain wood encapsulated in fiberglass in the transom, stringers, & deck - inspect it thoroughly. Look for brown streaks that run down from hardware installed on the inside & outside of the transom caused by water intrusion. You can tap lightly all around the inside and outside of the transom with a small ballpin hammer listening for a sharp ping sound (good) or a dull thud sound (bad). Also, check for soft spots in the decks & flooring. If it hasn't been started or ran in a couple of years then you'll have to do some maintenance work on it first. There is some good info on-line on what to do & look for when a motor has been sitting for some time.

"Travis
    Boats offered a variety of options at a posted price that was suppose to eliminate haggling that customers disliked about the boat-buying experience. They also took advantage of their volume purchasing power with manufacturers by creating Travis Edition 'packages' that allowed the company to add features, at a lower price, that smaller competitors were unable to match." With that quote from Travis Boats History, http://www.fundinguniverse.com/compa...s-inc-history/ , there's some negative criticism that can be found on-line, fair or not. Some believe that Travis Boats was responsible for the demise of Cajun, Sprint, Cobra, and others. I saw my first Cobra 201 at Travis Boats in San Antonio probably around '97 after Viper changed the solid stripe to the broken stripe.
    Last edited by tgifish; 03-29-2019 at 03:11 PM.
    TGIFish
    USAF ('79-'00)
    '01 Cobra 201D