Has anyone had this key pad issue?

2004 521 vx

Used boat . The engine would usually turn off when you pushed stop. Sometimes you’d have to push stop and any other spot on the keypad to make it turn off. As I fished it later in the season that “trick” stopped working. The engine will only turn off via the kill switch. I’m gonna try changing the fuses(aux 4).

Any thoughts vets ?

2. Member
    Check and clean all grounds

Buddy’s 2005 was doing it last year. Had to replace the pad. Was also randomly draining the crank battery
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

4. Member
    Any one else

Sounds like the pad to me. I carry a spare.
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

6. Member
    Mine did the exact same thing. I had to replace the keypad. All fixed after that. .

7. Member
    2004 185 same problem. Waiting on new pad. - JP

8. Member
    same thing i would have to press stop two times and it would turn off then it stopped had to replace my pad. call ranger to see if they have replacements but i heard certain years have dcd. but check on here there was a post about someone disconecting something and reconecting it and it reset the pad it was withing the last couple months i think check it out first. I remember couple guys tried it and it worked. good luck

Yes, same exact problem. I ended up having a bad circuit breaker as well as a key pad. I heard that Ranger will have those key pads available in May but then again I've been hearing that for several months now.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

10. Member
    Swapped out the aux 4 switch. Ran the boat today and half the times it turned off when I hit stop! The other half I had to hit stop and simultaneously somewhere else on the pad.

what grounds specifically are you referring to? What is a dcd?

11. Member
    I did also replace my cranking battery so maybe because I disconnected it it reset it?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NY29T View Post
    2004 521 vx

Used boat . The engine would usually turn off when you pushed stop. Sometimes you’d have to push stop and any other spot on the keypad to make it turn off. As I fished it later in the season that “trick” stopped working. The engine will only turn off via the kill switch. I’m gonna try changing the fuses(aux 4).

Any thoughts vets ?
    i have a 2003 vx and that did happen to me. I had to hit stop once then twice to get it to stop. I called my dealer and they replaced the pad. That fixed it. but i think they dont make the key pad for our years call ranger to see if they still make this key pad. check on this forum i think i remember someone saying there was a fix to this issue. he said he dissconnected something and reattached it and that fixed the issue. you may have to really search though bc i couldnt find it a few weeks ago. i think he disconnected the fuse and re tried it le me know if you find it.

It is the keypad. The board has 2 cannon plugs, one for start/stop one for everything else. If you have a keystart option you could use that and it won't keep draining the battery.

14. Member
    Ya im in a bind because a new pad is 450$ just hoping I can find a more cost efficient fix! But looks like the new pad may be the option

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NY29T View Post
    Swapped out the aux 4 switch. Ran the boat today and half the times it turned off when I hit stop! The other half I had to hit stop and simultaneously somewhere else on the pad.

what grounds specifically are you referring to? What is a dcd?
    sorry dcd means discontinued----very sorry aobut that. call ranger to see if they still make the key pad for that year.