Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    No I dont

2. Member
    Another thought.....I had questioned a bad temp sensor in the beginning. Now if this engine is truly getting this hot wouldn't the water coming out the pisser burn the crap out of my hand???? It doesn't burn, not even close. Would explain why my thermostats seem to be opening at 180 degrees too. This thing is driving me crazy!!

3. Member
    why not just test the thermostats and see if they are good or bad also get you a infrared thermometer and see what the temps the the engine is running at,they only cost around 30.00 harbor freight,wally world sells the also auto stores have them
    Last edited by buster502; 03-24-2019 at 08:19 AM.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Genovese View Post
    Another thought.....I had questioned a bad temp sensor in the beginning. Now if this engine is truly getting this hot wouldn't the water coming out the pisser burn the crap out of my hand???? It doesn't burn, not even close. Would explain why my thermostats seem to be opening at 180 degrees too. This thing is driving me crazy!!
    No, the telltale is the compressor outlet only and does not come from thermostats.

A factory service manual for your engine by serial number will really help you save frustration and money, won't cost any more than an hour of labor at a marine dealer. Suggest you call Rhonda tomorrow with serial number and credit card in hand - If you want to order or price Mercury Engine Parts or Accessories...
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Member
    Ok. Thanks guys. I really appreciate the help. I'm gonna order a manual and a poppet valve assembly tomorrow.

6. Member
    Get an I R thermometer and check the actual temp of the heads,block,etc,when it overheats if you think the sensor may be suspect.On another note,I had a guy with a new 150 Opti that had roughly the same problem.If any idling was involved,like no wake zones,overheat alarm would come on.If he could get it up on plane before that,it would run with no alarm for the most part.Took it back to dealer under warranty.They put in a new water pump and said it was good to go.Same exact problem still existed.I pulled the LU off and these guys had the pump to water tube connection on wrong so there was a bunch of leakage.Straightened that out and the motor has run great ever since. I am guessing the service guy put the parts together exactly like he found them so the original problem still existed. Just throwing that out there...
    Did you happen to plow through any mud before the problem started?
    Last edited by blackboat; 03-25-2019 at 07:50 AM.

7. Member
    Blackboat......no I plowed through no mud, I don't even put in the river here. I'm in central illinois, and we have no big lakes. I'm usually in a 250 acre lake that isn't weedy at all. Just checked the strainer after 3 1/2 yrs and it was spotless. What could've been wrong with the water tube you were talking about? On mine it's just a tube going inside of another one.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I think you better have someone with the Computer Diagnostic System check this engine. Someone knowledgeable enough to realize that there are FOUR temp sensors on the engine, they can look at all four when COLD and they should be within 5 degrees of each other.

If one is off... it's likely the whole problem.

I've only seen one case where this occurred with ALL good cooling system components- and it was a virtually new engine with a minor (internal) casting-slag flaw.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Thanks for the input Don. I'm gonna take a picture of your post and show it to the tech when I take it in. Hopefully they have the set up you're talking about.

10. Member
    Update....I put a poppet valve rebuild kit in. The old one got tweaked getting it out. Bought a temperature gun to get a reading to compare to vessel Vue in case it was a season problem. Let it run, comparing gun to V.V. and they're almost identical. Ran it 10 minutes and it got up to 185, but didn't get hotter. Now the gun temps were taken off of starboard head. So I go around to Port side....125-130 is the hottest it gets! So, I'm assuming the starboard thermostat is bad (even though it's got about an hour on it.) Is that about all it would be? It's obviously getting water to Port side. I'm going to pull the thermostats and check them. I guess I could follow the water line from starboard thermostat to see where it comes from. Any other ideas???

11. Member
    what degree stats are they ??

12. Member
    Not sure, bass pro put them in. I took it to them before I had vessel Vue and I had the beeps on the motor. Told them to see what code was going off and to not work on engine.....they put thermostats in without calling me.

13. Banned
    Thermostats are about $35-40 a piece for genuine Mercury replacements. You'd also need the rubber gaskets that are like $2 each. I would replace both thermostats again.

You'll need to loosen both fuel rails. Two 5/8 nuts on each rail. Don't take the nuts off, just turn them out a bit then gently pull the rails back evenly. Either the injectors are going to pull out of the head or the rail is going to pull off the injector. Either way, just be careful. Shouldn't only need to pull the rail back about 1/4". You'll then be able to unbolt and remove the thermostat caps, should be two 8mm bolts on each cap. When the caps are removed push the fuel rails gently back in to place, careful not to bugger up an o-ring. Just nice and easy, even pressure top and bottom, don't force anything. Then just snug up the rail nuts. Now, while the thermostat caps are removed hook up hose to the flush port on the back of the motor and turn on the water. You should have water come out both holes where the thermostats are. Block one with your thumb to force more water out the other hole, do both sides. This just makes sure there are no obstructions in the water channels and water flows freely through the heads. When you turn off the water use an air hose or canned air to blow off any water sitting on the fuel rails before loosening them again. Back off the fuel rail same as above, install new thermostats and seals, replace caps and torque bolts down. I couldn't find a spec, but I made mine about 30 in/lbs. Retorque the fuel rail nuts to 35 ft/lbs.

This all may not be right, but that's what I did when I replaced my thermostats.

14. Member
    Thank you.....I will try that next! I have thermostats and gaskets already. Ordered several after I read they screw up easy.

15. Member
    Ok, got an update. Seems the starboard side thermostat wasn't replaced like they said it was. New thermostat and it's staying 140 degrees or less. Shot engine with temp gun and was getting 208 on starboard head before and now 144 tops. Getting 125 on Port side. Does anybody know why I would have different temps from one side to the other now that both thermostats are opening?

16. Member
    Anybody??

17. Member
    Typically the higher starboard bank is warmer than the port side but not sure by 20 degrees. But the thermostats do cycle open and shut at different rates so that could be why.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

18. Member
    Thanks for your input.

19. Member
    The 2.5L uses 143 degree stats and that's the temp they begin to open, so you will likely see engine coolant temps reach 155 - 160 when full open when at idle. If you want to confirm temperature, point your temp gun at the thermostat cover not the head. If, after at least 5mins at idle, you're only getting 125 at the port thermostat cover, you best remove and inspect that thermostat for debris.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

20. Member
    Thanks silverfox579....will do!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast