Wiring batteries

Does anyone know if I can series in a sealed lead acid battery with 2 agm batteries to make my 36V system? Or do they all have to be agm? Will it hurt the batteries? Thanks!

2. Member
    Batteries in series should be matched so that they discharge uniformly. If one discharges before the others, they will force current through it and destroy it.
    Mis-matching is less of a problem when using a Trollbridge 36 for charging because it puts them in parallel every time you start the main motor which equalizes the charges during charging.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loganmue View Post
    Does anyone know if I can series in a sealed lead acid battery with 2 agm batteries to make my 36V system? Or do they all have to be agm? Will it hurt the batteries? Thanks!
    Not only same type but same capacity. To do it properly they should all be the same model and age. As in all new with the same date of manufacture. Charging with the Yardina is good but the match of the batteries is what you have to have. Bob

4. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    AGMs by their unique starved electolyte chemistry exhibit a different full charge voltage than a flooded lead acid. Placing in and out of parallel configuration produces current flows that use up chemical stored energy and can adversely affect the full usable life.

Capacities and ages do not necessarily have to be the same for series connected batteries ......as there is not much of any concern for placing and leaving in series provided that 1) batteries are monitored and not allowed to become overly discharged and 2) the max currents allowed are not extreme. Trolling motor (non cranking use) current values would be permissible as each battery type, age and capacity could deliver its full and normal life.

If you do not monitor the individual state of discharge amounts (voltages) then the advice to keep all batteries same type and at similar capacities does then apply to series connected batteries.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 03-21-2019 at 09:30 PM.