Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

So the planes’s captain just came on

And said they have to go back to the terminal and fill up the left engine with oil????
    WTF kind of BS is that?
    I mean I guess it’s better than getting up to 35,000 feet and decide to do maintenance.
    We had already pushed away and were taxiing toward takeoff I thought.
    Think they use 10w-40 in these things and just forgot to wipe off the dipstick?
    You can lead a horticulture,
    but you can't make her think.

2. Member

Must be more involved than checking the oil on my Scag. We are still sitting here on the ground not moving and wondering why in the hell I came to Florida in the first place. Oh yeah so I could hear my mother in law complaining live and in person cause that’s better than hearing it over the speaker phone
    You can lead a horticulture,
    but you can't make her think.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    True story - many years ago I was a passenger on a Britt Airways Metroliner II out of the West Lafayette, Indiana airport on a flight to Chicago and (this is when you could see right into the cockpit) a maintenance guy drove up to the front of the plane and the pilot slid open a window. The conversation had to do with "does anyone know how to check the oil level?" on the engine. Honest truth.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

5. Member
    Better to discover it now than when you’ve hit rotate speed.

6. Member
    I have had soooo many things happen flying and I don't hardly ever fly.
    Captain shot straight up one time then came on and said we were going to circle and try again because of another plane on the runway.
    Once on a landing the pilot came on and said we were going to abort and try again because cockpit alarms were going off.
    Once while flying standby made it onto the last plane only to clip wings with another plane going out onto the runway.

Quote Originally Posted by Kb444fishing View Post
    I have had soooo many things happen flying and I don't hardly ever fly.
    Captain shot straight up one time then came on and said we were going to circle and try again because of another plane on the runway.
    Once on a landing the pilot came on and said we were going to abort and try again because cockpit alarms were going off.
    Once while flying standby made it onto the last plane only to clip wings with another plane going out onto the runway.
    I'd stop flying if I was you. No need to keep pressing your luck.

8. Member
    Ask them to check the blinker fluid while they are at it.

9. Member
    More than likely the oil tank for that engine had a Low Oil warning come on. Might be low, might be a bad system. Embarrassing if the engine runs out not to mention dangerous and expensive.

10. Member
    An old pilot saying.....”It’s better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than in the air wishing you were on the ground”!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catjuggin View Post
    And said they have to go back to the terminal and fill up the left engine with oil????
    WTF kind of BS is that?
    I mean I guess it’s better than getting up to 35,000 feet and decide to do maintenance.
    We had already pushed away and were taxiing toward takeoff I thought.
    Think they use 10w-40 in these things and just forgot to wipe off the dipstick?
    Anyone ask the pilot what type of pre-flight he carried out??

I had to let a pilot know his aileron was vibrating at the outer bearings excessively. After we landed, he walked out and grabbed the Aileron, than grounded the aircraft.(Turbo-prop)
    Another flight, the engine cowl had about 8 Zeus/fasteners loose. Was waiting for it to lift off and leave the plane.
    Of course, after 6 weeks in Nigeria, engine fire after takeoff. Got to use the slides. For some reason when my buddies see me board a plane, they panic!
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

12. Banned
    Had the same thing happen at the Savannah airport. Pushed off and while taxing to the runway pilot comes on and says we need to return because an engine light came on. I was sitting just behind the wing in a window seat and watched the mechanic push a wheel latter/platform up to the engine that had two purple round quarts cans of Mobil oil and a funnel on it. He climbed up and put the oil in and a few mins we were on our way again.

13. Banned
    Maybe the Check Engine Light came on.

Must be a Chevy engine if it's burning oil like that.

What aircraft, airline?

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bsktball55 View Post
    Must be a Chevy engine if it's burning oil like that.
    If it was a Ford/Dodge, it would have an oil slick under it and streaks down the side.

17. Member
    Awww, come on guys, it's so simple maybe you need a refresher course. Heyya! It's all ball bearingsnowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads, and I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone.

18. Member
    One of the planes that just crashed and killed said the pilots pulled out the manual, looking on how to solve the problem.

Daymn, at least truckers do a 20 min. Pre trip

Flying out of Huntsville Bama one day heading to Dallas, the plane starts------- then shuts off. pilot comes on and says we need a part for the engine, closest place that has the part is in Dallas. Good news----- That's where we are heading, let's go.

20. Lunker hunter
    can't be any worse than the time I watched a guy using duct tape on engine just before leaving LAX for a trans-pacific flight.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast