New Classic, help with TM choice

Very close to getting my first BCB, a new classic! Will I regret not upgrading to the 36 volt Ultrex?

2. Member
    For that size of boar 36 volt is not needed. Many of larger models sometimes use a 24 volt but some like a 36. I would invest the extra cash saved into something else for your rig.

I run a cougar with 36 volt but a couple buddies who run pumas (same sized boat as Cougar) only run theirs with a 24 system.
    Plus the weight saved without having a 4th battery would be great too!

Just my opinion of course,,,

3. Member
    I do not think you will regret going with the 80 vs the 112. An 80 will be plenty trolling motor unless you plan to fish fast rivers and spot lock all day or want to go fish the great lakes and spot lock all day in big wind. Either of those scenarios and I would say a 112 would be your best bet, otherwise the 80 is gonna be sweet!

4. Member
    If speed is not an issue, get the 36/Ultrex, if it is, get a 24/Ultrex.
    You can fish 2 days with a 36 volt with moderate use, can't do that with a 24 volt.

5. Member
    I have a 80lb on my new PII. It pushes the boat fine.
    Brad Krone

6. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    80lb 24V is plenty for that boat.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

7. Member
    I own a classic with an 80# maxxum pro. 90% of the time it is more than enough. For the past 2+ months, Alabama Power has been running all 6 turbines on Lay Dam and the current has been a bear. Above Bullock's Islands, I stopped a month ago to attempt to fish in the current break on the upstream side. Was ⅓ way down the island before I could get seat up and T.M. in the water. Looked down and we were drifting at 4.1 MPH on the GPS. No way I can break 3mph in slick water. First cast lost the lure as I could not get back upstream to it with the T.M. and it was in some stumps that would not let me rationally run the big motor. Tough conditions. Otherwise I have had good luck with the 80# thrust in wind and everything else. Just not so much in a near white-water river current as we are currently dealing with.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

You'll be fine with the 24 Vols, but how much more is it to upgrade.

Cheaper to do it now than later.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

9. Member
    Not much more for the motor, add battery and two talons and now more weight! Lots of decisions!

Thanks for the input.