Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

newer ford raptor

about to be in the market for a new truck. my 2009 ram 1500 laramie that i bought new has 170k on it and even though it has NEVER given me a lick of trouble i know it’s on borrowed time. i saw what looked like a brand new ford raptor at the ramp yesterday and am thinking of going test drive one soon. ford has never been on my radar but it was honestly one of the best looking trucks i have ever seen. black on black 4door with what i perceive as a little bigger than stock all terrain tires. im looking for real world MPG pulling my 2018 zx 250. my ram gets 11-13 depending on speed. PLEASE share any pros and cons or information in general you may have about the newer ford raptors. should i expect to pay sticker?

thanks in advance
    Last edited by dimitri; 03-21-2019 at 12:33 AM.

Pros = LOOKS, POWER, SPEED, OFF ROAD CAPABLE

Cons = EATS GAS, HIGH INSURANCE, PARTS ARE EXPENSIVE

If I didn't need the towing capacity I'd have a raptor in the drive way.

Enjoy it brother.
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

3. Member
    Drove my buddy’s ford raptor during Christmas. Wow. Best truck I’ve ever driven. It was pretty amazing all around. Made my 2017 Tundra feel pretty different. So be forewarned about that. :)

4. Member
    looking around online and can’t find a 2019 below 70k. anyone know firsthand if they negotiate on prices any?

5. Member
    Raptor is SVT...they won't negotiate on them a lick. Basically they know people will pay what they are asking.

I might be biased, but I'd say look into the new Rams. I can get 16-17mpg with my gas ram at 75mph pulling my boat. Not as heavy as yours, but doubt it will make that big of difference.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Milehibird View Post
    Raptor is SVT...they won't negotiate on them a lick. Basically they know people will pay what they are asking.

I might be biased, but I'd say look into the new Rams. I can get 16-17mpg with my gas ram at 75mph pulling my boat. Not as heavy as yours, but doubt it will make that big of difference.
    until i saw that raptor my plan was to buy a 2020 ram as soon as they became available. and after seeing the raptor prices i may have to go back that route. lol

7. Member
    Its my understanding that the Raptor has one of the best truck rides on the road. It eats pot holes for breakfast.
    The newest Raptor now has the Eco-boost and puts out near 500 horsepower. It is faster and handles better than the previous models with the heavy 6.2 V8.
    With that said, I have no idea of fuel efficiency. I don't know if its even listed? It should have no issues pulling your boat.
    I seen a new Raptor in the Ruby Red color. Was one fine machine!

And NO they probably wont come off the price much. The SVT Raptor normally sells for MSRP or even more.
    Hell, the new F150 Limited (also comes with the Raptor engine) is 78k dollars!!
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunhunter67 View Post
    Its my understanding that the Raptor has one of the best truck rides on the road. It eats pot holes for breakfast.
    The newest Raptor now has the Eco-boost and puts out near 500 horsepower. It is faster and handles better than the previous models with the heavy 6.2 V8.
    With that said, I have no idea of fuel efficiency. I don't know if its even listed? It should have no issues pulling your boat.
    I seen a new Raptor in the Ruby Red color. Was one fine machine!

And NO they probably wont come off the price much. The SVT Raptor normally sells for MSRP or even more.
    Hell, the new F150 Limited (also comes with the Raptor engine) is 78k dollars!!
    I have a 2014 Raptor that I believe is the best truck I've ever owned. It has the 6.2 V8 and with traction control on will spin the tires in the first two gears, pulls my bass cat or horse trailer with no problem and still gets compliments. Eats gas like my horses eat hay....13 mpg in town if lucky. 16 on the highway at 75. As my wife always points out....fun costs money!

9. Member
    70 grand for a Truck. No Thanks. But if you like one get you one.

10. Member
    For whatever the Reason, the Raptors have a way lower Towing Capacity than the other F-150's do. Be aware of that.

Bigger Motor, better Power, More Gas, less Towing.

It's all about Looking Good.

11. Member
    My local Ford dealership will not allow test drives. Had 2 on their lot when I was looking for another truck. Was told that since their SVT they didn't want to put the extra milage on them and they weren't much different than the f150 I had then. Left their lot and drove directly across the street and took home a Tundra an hour later.

12. Member
    Those specialty desert trucks indeed ride better than a stock 4WD on the road, at least my 2015 TRD Pro Tundra did. Most Yoter dealers wont budge off the price of the Pro’s and out west they sell for more than MSRP. I looked at Raptor back then and found they were proud of them even with 75000 miles.

Ram comes in a Rebel if you’re wanting to compare. The Raptor is king of that style of truck. I just got tired of the exhaust after 18 months or so. I kept my Pro for a couple years and 52000 miles. It fetched within 4K of what I paid for it.

I just pulle a buddies new 520L to southern Florida with my Tundra, pretty much all interstate. We averaged 12 mpg running 72ish. I’d get a little worse using my adaptive cruise and he would get a little better not using any cruise. He just traded a 17 Laramie for a brand new Limited. I think both have a 8 speed transmission. He told me his Ram would have averaged a MPG better pulling the same boat.

IMO You cant compare the specialty 1/2 tons to their regular counterparts. You are paying for a BUNCH of off-road capability. Mine saw a dirt road a few times.
    Last edited by n2ratfishin; 03-21-2019 at 06:43 AM.

13. triton
    I have a 2017 Raptor which is my third one....had a 2012 and a 2014 before this one.....all have been excellent trucks
    with outstanding trade in values, the last one went out to Colorado from NY....the 2017 went to the eco engine which
    I wasn't sure of after the 6.2 engine but I can honestly say its faster and pulls harder than the v8 and puts out 450 hp..
    I paid over sticker on the 2017, there was no 2016 and when the 2017 came out it was real hard to find one and all
    the dealers were over sticker, if you wanted one you paid for it..

CARL MAYER
    SKEETER FX20 2016
    BARRYVILLE NY 12719

2023 FORD RAPTOR

14. Banned
    Don’t buy a Raptor and expect decent fuel mileage, just not made for it with those big tires.

15. Member
    Expect to pay sticker. A lot of times people are paying over sticker. It most likely won’t be any worse than your ram on fuel and it has a ton of power. If you can swing it go for it. The new rams are good trucks too and they get pretty decent fuel mileage now. At least mine does

16. Member
    Ram Rebel
    Please release me,let me go.

17. Banned
    Whatever you do, if you get one that is the v6, please dont put an exhaust on it. I dont know what some think, but it doesnt sound good. Leave that for the real engines, you know, a v8. Its worse than a Honda with a fart can on it.

18. Member
    A guy I know just got rid of his new Raptor after just a few months. Had an electrical issue that left him unable to start it just a month after buying and have to have it towed. The kicker for him, though, was he said the 10-speed transmission was always gear hunting, especially when towing. He didn’t like the transmission and sent to a King Ranch. His salesman told him this was the last year the King Ranch wouldn’t have a 10-speed transmission. It wasn’t my truck and I have no dog in this fight, just relaying what I heard from someone that could drive any vehicle he chooses.

19. Member
    I see you're in Texas, but there is a dealership in the Rochester NY area that is offering a blue Raptor right now at $3700 off sticker. I believe it's a 2018.

Edit: Here it is...

https://www.vanbortelford.net/new-Ea...FW1RG3JFD81758

20. Member
    I have a 2014 I bought new for invoice. Getting a deal is hard but doable, they are not SVT vehicles after 2014. It is by far the most fun I have had wasting my money. It is also the best truck I have owned but it’s not an HD truck like a 3/4 or one ton. You need to understand the soft ride comes from more compliant springs with much better shocks so payload capacity is its Achilles heal. It’s also a little expensive to maintain since the shocks do wear out and are expensive as well as tires. Get the supercrew for better towing and payload, its fine for even a big bassboat.

As far as Offroad capabilities, the only thing close is a power wagon from the factory. I have driven mine through a couple feet of snow, rock crawled it through the Rockies, and spent some time in the deserts with it. The PW is a little better when rough, tight and technical, the Raptor is better when it can stretch its legs. The raptor is still the only truck that tells you how to jump it in the owners manual. It is so much fun it will distract you from going fishing, so be careful.
    MoBob

2020 Z520c Ranger 250 Pro-XS Mercury
    2023 Ford Raptor
    O'Fallon, MO

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast