Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

03 150 XR6 trouble running

I took my TR 185 w/ 2003 150 XR6 serial number OT649691 out of winter storage today. It has a half of tank full of treated gas. The engine was fogged before I put it away. It had zero issues prior to being winterized. When I brought it to the lake this afternoon it started but it would only stay running if I mashed the gas pedal to the floor. As soon as i let off a little it would stall. I could only get 2500 RPM's out of her. I tried a few times. Each time She would start but same situation. She would only stay started if I held the gas pedal down.
    Once I put her back on the trailer I noticed when I drained the motor there was oil/water coming out of the Prop exhaust? That was troublesome but I feel it was oil not burnt because the RPM's would not go past 2500. After I got home I changed the spark plugs and I will try it again but I think it might be something serious. Anyone ever experience anything like this ? I will be making an appointment with the shop after tomorrow's try.
    Last edited by billybas; 03-21-2019 at 05:56 PM.

2. Member
    1. You will get some oil as the fogging oil leaks down through the exhaust, I know becease years ago I had a oily puddle after bringing it home from winter storage. 2. 2000 rpm is the most you should be reving the motor without a load, ‘in gear’. 3. Could be bad fuel, I use to store mine completely full so less condensation would happen but this would result in poor performance through the first tank, i now run it as close to empty with treated winterized fuel and top up the in the spring with fresh fuel. I’m no expert but I do have experience with how much of a b*tvh these can be to get and keep running under certain conditions.

3. Member
    Also, how long did you let it run for, the first start up will be hella smoky as it burns off the fogging oil, I go through a pretty long warm up, sometimes 5 minutes idling around 1200 to 1500 rpm until it isles on its own around 700rpm. How did the plugs look when you pulled them?

4. Member
    I did not let it run very long a minute tops, only because I didn't think she was running right at all. When I pulled the plugs they looked absolutely normal. I did try to start it again after changing the plugs and she ran the exact same way only 2500 RPMs and smoking a ton. brought her back home and after reading somewhere else about a few similar problems I will try to rebuild the fuel pump. My son and I were checking it out and feel there is gas going straight to the carburetor indicating possibly the diaphragm might have broke or is stuck.

I appreciate you taking the time BOB and I will report my findings. If you have any suggestions they sure will be appreciated.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Hopefully you're not trying to rev the engine like that when the boat is on the trailer- don't rev without prop load (in gear, in water).

How much fogging oil did you put in this engine (and by what method was it put in there)? Type of oil?

What else was done as you winterized?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Not on the trailer...My local lake is 3 minutes away so i just put in to test it. I used the standard starting procedure ( engine level...hold key in 10 seconds...turn key) and she will start just not stay running without me holding the pedal down. I was holding it down in order to burn off the fogging oil (Sta-Bil brand) which I sprayed in each cylinder and in the carbs with the air cleaner cover off. That is all i have done as far as winterizing the engine ( besides lower unit oil change ).

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If the fuel wasn't properly treated you may have carb problems also. Check the basics- Compression, Spark and Fuel Quality/Delivery.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Thank you Don...those things are beyond my capabilities i hate to say. So if the fuel pump rebuild does not fix it (which I do not believe it will but I want to give my son the benefit of the doubt)I will be bringing the boat/engine to the professionals.
    I will report the findings in case it can help some one else.

9. Member
    One more question...when squeezing the primer bulb...should gas be getting to the carburetor?...or should it stop at the fuel pump?

10. Member
    It should get to the carbs, and it should pump until the bowls fill, then it shouldn’t pump anymore. Cleaning the carbs is not as hard as you think, buy the Mercury OEM service manual and gasket kits for the carbs and you could do it.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

11. Member
    Thank you leonreno...that will make a difference as far as rebuilding the fuel pump...I appreciate the help!

12. Member
    So I brought the Boat to the shop and I just got the call on what the problem was. After doing the standard test. A.K.A. compression and spark. The mechanic notices the problem. After winterizing it, I put the ATTENUATOR PLATE AIR BOX...the air cleaner cover, was put on upside down !!!! So it was blocking the air intake and basically chocking the carburetor. I'm actually embarrassed to post this but I read these forums so much and the littlest piece of information sometimes makes all the difference that I feel obligated to post this in case it helps even one person.
    Thank you for all the support and advice!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leonreno View Post
    Cleaning the carbs is not as hard as you think, buy the Mercury OEM service manual and gasket kits for the carbs and you could do it.
    I may have to take this back. Removing the air box and re-installing is part of that process.

Just kidding, not that big of a mistake, just a learning experience, now you know what happens when air is restricted to your motor.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

14. Member
    LOL...honestly...I keep telling myself getting old sucks! at least I can laugh about it also!

15. Member
    Wonder what your mechanic thought???

Had a buddy call me in a frantic, engine would not start and tide was going out.
    I told him three times "did you check your kill switch??" every response was yes.

He later called me to tell me, it was the kill switch.

16. Member
    LOL...I would think by now...I should know to check the obvious but installing it upside down?...ME?...I would never !!!! LOL

17. Member
    sometimes the simplest thing can a big difference , those that have never made a mistake are liars
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Glad it was something simple to correct!

19. Member
    Don't be embarrassed Sir as it takes a real man to admit/own up to his mistakes. We all do it especially as we age it appears to become more frequent. Glad you got it resolved without breaking the bank. I had one of those 2004 150 XR6's once and determined it was a great engine.

20. Member
    Thanks Fly by...it does seem to come more frequently and I am glad I can chuckle about it and keep it moving. I have not had very many problems with this motor and I am glad she's still alive and well !!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast