2019 Z520C Mercury 250 Pro XS 4 stroke prop's

I just purchased the boat and have only 6 hours on it (Merc Serial number 2B597617). I am running a 23P Fury and haven't completely opened it up. I want to order a spare prop and am considering a 24p or a four blade. I'd like some feedback from those that are running this set up. Am I better off ordering another 23 Fury?

2. mikesxpress
    It's not that simple anymore!

While you can still prop swap, the correct procedure for the V8's is after break-in you have to select the best performing propeller/jack plate & trim settings for your average running conditions (2 people, gear, full fuel, summer time, etc..). Then you get the Mercury propping software run. If your dealer didn't tell you about this, well here is the condensed version.

Mercury propping exercise.
    Mercury tech onboard with his G3 laptop and you make 3-4 WOT runs. The engine run data is imported into the laptop which will provide a best parameters settings for the engine and THAT prop (demand/demand linear/air-fuel mix/etc..). Another WOT run and check it again. You now have your V8 tuned to your boat/prop. Swap props and you need to do this all over again to maximize performance.

Best to get all your settings and propeller selection/tweeking done so it spins up close to 6200 rpms consistently, and then do the propping one time and have another prop cloned as a spare. This will virtually eliminate the previous "try this Bravo"
    "add 3-4 vent holes" unless you have deep pockets and your Mercury tech has lots of spare time to go to the water.....

*The 23 you have is at present the best prop for your rig but Mercury is working on props just for these 4 stokes.

3. Member
    Mike, you are not serious are you? There are not enough Merc mechanics out there to do this. I’m looking at getting the new 4 stroke since I can’t get another SHO.

4. mikesxpress
    Warren the propping is the Mercury recommend process to tune your 4 stroke to the best possible running condition. As far as I can determine it is not required but highly recommended. I agree, the techs availability to do this is going to be hard to come by, especially in allot of shops that only have one available. I'm sure Don will chime in on this over on the Mercury board.

I'm still fooling with props for my 250 on my Ranger and recording data. I have new 23 & 24P 3 blade Fury's at the prop shop now getting tweeked. Once I'm satisfied I can sustain 6200 rpms during summer I'll benchmark that and get the propping done. Then I'll see if it actually makes a significant difference.
    Last edited by mikesxpress; 03-21-2019 at 06:00 PM.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Warren the propping is the Mercury recommend process to tune your 4 stroke to the best possible running condition. As far as I can determine it is not required but highly recommended. I agree, the techs availability to do this is going to be hard to come by, especially in allot of shops that only have one available. I'm sure Don will chime in on this over on the Mercury board.

I'm still fooling with props for my 250 on my Ranger and recording data. I have new 23 & 24P 3 blade Fury's at the prop shop now getting tweeked. Once I'm satisfied I can sustain 6200 rpms during summer I'll benchmark that and get the propping done. Then I'll see if it actually makes a significant difference.
    Then you can come to Gville and do mine!.....assuming I get it. Always good to know an ME!

Sounds like the modern era of high performance cars has come to outboards. I have been watching Youtube videos of these guys tuning their cars with unheard of horsepower. Remember in the old days if you had a chevy with 350 hp you were badass? Nowadays you will be left at the gate with that paltry hp. They bolt on a turbo, nitrous injection and dial in 800 hp. But all the fine work is done on the laptop fine tuning the injectors and timing to max out the setup.

Check out some of these videos:
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post

Has this data been posted or shared?

8. Member
    You are past two hour break in, you can run WOT now what are you waiting on