Thread: Skipping rods

Skipping rods

I’m in the market for a rod that will primarily be used for jig or paddle tail skipping, and light pitching in tight areas Within close proximity. I’ve been going back and forth between a couple of rods because I overthink everything. I was considering a tour versatile (either xx or 2019 levante), or the legend t dock sniper. I’m just assuming that a 7’ rod will work well based on my height. I’m not so sure if some extra sensitivity is necessary either, which is why I’m looking at rods at a varying price point. Just wanted to see if I could get some input, and maybe hear what some of you are using for skipping! Thanks

2. Member
    https://alxrods.com/product/skipper/

This rod is no joke. Pair it with a Daiwa SV and skipping is like butter.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 Alive View Post
    https://alxrods.com/product/skipper/

This rod is no joke. Pair it with a Daiwa SV and skipping is like butter.
    What he said....

4. Member
    I use a Duckett 6' 9'' Micro Magic rod (MH) paired with a Daiwa Tatula SV TW 103 reel. If you like skipping, you have to try this reel. It's the best reel for skipping and throwing lighter weight baits I've ever used.
    Last edited by Pipercub; 03-21-2019 at 12:41 PM.
    2018 Ranger RT178
    Yamaha 75hp
    Atlas Micro Jacker
    80lb Minn Kota Ultrex

I'm wanting to pick up one of the ALX Skippers, but haven't been able to do that yet. I've been using a MH Phenix Feather for skipping in lieu of that and have been extremely happy with it, specifically the 7'1" model. They also have a 6'9" which I've considered getting to see if I can be more accurate with it though I don't think I fish docks enough for it to be worth it for me to get a rod that would really only be used for that. One thing to remember with Phenix rods is that they're over-rated compared to other companies' standards, so that MH fishes more like a medium. Perfect for stuff 1/4-1/2 oz, but you wouldn't want to go any bigger than 1/2 oz unless you were using it for bomb casts. I generally skip 3/8 oz Arkie jigs, chatterbaits, 1/4 oz swim jigs, and 3/8 oz Megabass Dark Sleepers with it.

I built my dad a spinning rod on the 6'9" MH Feather blank so he can skip and make accurate casts with it. He absolutely loves it. Just for reference, he uses it a lot of time throwing T-rigged Senkos with a 1/8 oz weight.

On a related note: I still can't get over how "extra-fast" means completely different things to different companies. One company's extra fast is another company's mod-fast, yet the two companies' fast rods will be very similar. To be fair, fishermen don't agree on it either. They say "extra fast" or "fast tip" when they mean they want a soft tip, or others will say "extra fast" when the backbone arrives very early. The latter is what I've always understood extra fast to be. In any case, the Phenix version of extra fast is that soft tip - to me it's more mod-fast - that you want for skipping baits.

Definitely agree on a Daiwa with an SV spool being the one to get for skipping. I'm using the Tatula SV TWS for that purpose...can be had on eBay any day of the week for $150, and oftentimes for much less than that.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

6. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    As usual I agree with what Drew said! There’s almost no reason to add anything!

In the For Sale section there’s a Gen 1 Orochi Perfect Pitch for $200 if its still there. That would be my choice, and the SV!

As usual I agree with Drew on the tip as well. Mod=soft tip, fast=about a foot to 18” of give and xfast=cue stick!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

I have about every good skipping rod available. My go too and favorite skipping rod with out any doubt is the ALX Skipper
    Last edited by larryhyco; 03-24-2019 at 12:36 PM.

8. Member
    Thanks for the feedback. I ordered a 2019 levante tour versatile from a local shop, mostly because I couldn’t pass on the deal. After some discounts and a small gift card I had lying around it cost me far less than any other rod I currently own. I’m definitely going to check out the ALX rods though.