2009 Nitro Z7-Ignition Key Meltdown

Last week I fished all day out of my 2009 Z7 (motor is a 2009 Merc 150 EFI). Everything was 100% fine when I put her up after the day and plugged the batteries in to charge over night. Today I went out to my boat to get ready to fish tomorrow. I reached over to turn the key on to check the fuel gauge, and the key had melted completely away! Have any of you other Nitro owners ever had this happen? I have no idea when this happened or why. Any ideas as to what may have caused this would be appreciated. Thanks
    Last edited by deadwood; 03-21-2019 at 12:07 AM.

2. Member
    Sounds like the ignition switch has a short internally, which caused it to dump current through the switch and melt it. Replace the ignition switch you should be fine. Might want to hand over hand the wiring just to make be sure there's no other damage.

3. Member
    KC, thanks for the suggestion. I will replace the switch and hope for the best. I may get a spare switch to keep in the boat, in case there is an electrical problem with the boat circuitry. Don’t want to be stranded out on Falcon or other big lake.