Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question about charging batteries?

Before I get to the question, let me describe my scenario...

I rent a house that has a smaller garage that can't fit my boat. Due to that, my boat has to stay at a storage unit that does not have any power in the stall. Currently, the only way that I can charge batteries before/after a fishing trip is to park the boat in the street in front of my house, run an extension cord from my house and across the street to the boat. However, the company that runs our housing has complained that I can no longer do this. I also can't park the boat in the driveway because the driveway is too short. I have considered spending the money on a something like a Stealth charger that will charge the batteries while I'm towing the boat but most of the time, the lake will only be 10-20 minutes away. I can't imagine that the batteries would get enough of a charge in that short of a time. Maybe I'm wrong?

With all of that being said, here's the question. I have 4 batteries in the boat (36 volt system plus the cranking battery) and I am wondering is one of these portable charging kits (linked below) would do the trick. If I bought one, I could just take it over to the storage unit the day before a trip to charge the batteries and then not have to worry about charging at home anymore. It could also be used on any trip where I may not have easy access to electricity.

Has anyone used one of these? Is there a specific model you recommend? Based on everything I've read about them, I don't see why this wouldn't work.

https://www.sears.com/diehard-gold-p...1&blockType=G1

UPDATE TO ANSWER QUESTIONS:

The driveway isn't particularly short. It just that the sidewalk also crosses that driveway and I can't block it. The other problem with the driveway is that it is a fairly steep incline up to the garage. The issue that it creates is that when the boat is in the correct position in the driveway, the tongue is so close to the ground that the jack no longer has room to deploy/lock in place to allow the trailer unhook from the ball hitch. Also, even if I could manage to unhook it, having the boat sitting there with the tires chocked and at such a steep decline freaks me out. I can't get passed the feeling that someone would kick the chocks out just to be an asshat. It's possible that I could back it in at an angle to unhook but I'm still doubtful. Not to mention the other issues it would cause. I also can't park on my side of the street because the cluster mailbox is in my yard. I would be blocking that which, you guessed it, is illegal. I understand that all of this sounds like a bunch of BS but if you have ever dealt with an HOA, then you have a decent idea how dumb those can be.

We would love to move to something better but until we sell our home back in ND and the USAF decides to promote one of us again, this is where we are stuck.

Also, I have yet to find a storage unit that has electricity in a unit big enough to fit a boat. And I have called a ton of them!
    Last edited by STEVE81; 03-20-2019 at 09:06 PM. Reason: updated to answer questions
    2007 Triton TR-21X w/ Pro XS 250
    6" T&H Hi Jacker w/ 2" spacers
    26P Tempest

2. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Can’t you park in the driveway and unhook the boat till it’s charged then hook back up and bring it to the storage unit? Why can’t you park in front of your house instead of across the street?
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

3. Member
    Invest in a small generator

4. Banned
    Your boat won’t fit in the driveway?? Lord how short is the drive?? Lol

5. Member
    Is there room to angle it in your driveway and on to your front lawn for the night?

6. Member
    Basically those are just batteries with jumper cable attachments. More than likely, they have a lower AH rating than your trolling batteries. The problem is, you would never get a full charge. You charge up the charge pack to its peak, say 13.2V. Then you put it on one battery that's down to 11.5V. If they were the exact same Ah battery, you would, at most, reach a charge state of 12.35v. That's when both batteries would be at the same voltage. You would never hit full charge.

Here's my suggestions.
    1. clear out your garage enough that you can get the boat partway in. When you get home, put the boat in the driveway, angled if you have to, and park your truck in front of the house still hooked up. Plug in and charge until it's full, then take it to the storage unit.
    2. Park the boat in front of the house, run extension cord and charge.
    3. Spend a lot of money to get a couple 36V lithium batteries, take them out and set up the charger in your garage. Charge in a couple hours. Then just remember to put them back in your boat before every trip. Can do the same with standard batteries, but they are a lot heavier and 3 vs 2 batteries.
    4. Get a new storage unit with power.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Milehibird View Post
    Basically those are just batteries with jumper cable attachments. More than likely, they have a lower AH rating than your trolling batteries. The problem is, you would never get a full charge. You charge up the charge pack to its peak, say 13.2V. Then you put it on one battery that's down to 11.5V. If they were the exact same Ah battery, you would, at most, reach a charge state of 12.35v. That's when both batteries would be at the same voltage. You would never hit full charge.

Here's my suggestions.
    1. clear out your garage enough that you can get the boat partway in. When you get home, put the boat in the driveway, angled if you have to, and park your truck in front of the house still hooked up. Plug in and charge until it's full, then take it to the storage unit.
    3. Spend a lot of money to get a couple 36V lithium batteries, take them out and set up the charger in your garage. Charge in a couple hours. Then just remember to put them back in your boat before every trip. Can do the same with standard batteries, but they are a lot heavier and 3 vs 2 batteries.
    #4 or rent a different house seem like the easiest answers. Lol

8. Member
    Small gas charger. Fill it with gas, let it charge until it runs out of gas.

9. Banned

Updated to answer questions...
    26P Tempest

Quote Originally Posted by Milehibird View Post

Here's my suggestions.
    Lithium batteries would be great but I am a looooonnngggg ways from making that kind of purchase.

Obviously, I am not very schooled when it comes to the dynamics of batteries so forgive me if I come off as ignorant here. For the charge pack I linked, it has a 12v DC outlet that I could use to plug in my onboard 4 bank charger. Are you saying that even with that route, I still wouldn't get a full charge? I ask because based on the specifications of the charge pack, it mentions that it can charge for something like 38 hours.
    26P Tempest

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
    Is there room to angle it in your driveway and on to your front lawn for the night?
    I can't put it on the lawn at all. Big surprise but it's against the rules.
    26P Tempest

It sounds to me that the best answer (until you move) is to address the need for power to your storage unit guy. I'm sure there is electricity there to some degree. If he does not yet offer powered units, perhaps you promising to be his first renter would spark his interest. Or at least ask if you can tap in to his power? Option 2 is to find a rental unit that does offer power.
    Azure AZ200 (with stuff like cupholders, bathroom and table)

14. Member
    Are there any other storage units available (where you currently store) that have electricity? I’d do whatever I needed so I can plug in my onboard charger and go. Find a better suited storage unit. Maybe even someone with a pole barn or something alike that they rent out to people. Messing with any other option is just a PIA IMO!

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by STEVE81 View Post

We would love to move to something better but until we sell our home back in ND and the USAF decides to promote one of us again, this is where we are stuck.
    Good Luck w/this part.. My brother ran into issues in Plattsburgh, then in Texas (lost some $$ on that one) and then in Omaha, but made some $$$ in South Dakota and then made enough to have a house built after He retired from Eglin. He used a service in one of the deals, on a house when He had to go to South Korea for a yr+

So I hope Y'alls goes smoother , shit I hope Y'all make enough $$$ to buy the house You want w/a BIG garage to hold Your new boat

Quote Originally Posted by LewStulePH.D. View Post
    Good Luck w/this part.. My brother ran into issues in Plattsburgh, then in Texas (lost some $$ on that one) and then in Omaha, but made some $$$ in South Dakota and then made enough to have a house built after He retired from Eglin. He used a service in one of the deals, on a house when He had to go to South Korea for a yr+

So I hope Y'alls goes smoother , shit I hope Y'all make enough $$$ to buy the house You want w/a BIG garage to hold Your new boat
    Honestly, I miss the house we are trying to sell. It had a giant garage!
    26P Tempest

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
    Are there any other storage units available (where you currently store) that have electricity? I’d do whatever I needed so I can plug in my onboard charger and go. Find a better suited storage unit. Maybe even someone with a pole barn or something alike that they rent out to people. Messing with any other option is just a PIA IMO!
    I have yet to find a storage unit in all of Omaha that has power to their units. At least not in one big enough to fit a boat in it. And trust me. I have called a ton so far. Also, nearly all of them seemed to be owned by franchises instead of just your typical mom & pop kind of place. Anyone that I could talk to would just be a site manager and has no say so over anything like that.
    26P Tempest

What I really need to do is to become best friends with a local that has a big shop garage and talk him into letting me keep my boat there!
    26P Tempest

Have you tried bribery? Sometimes an extra $10/month under the table will accomplish wonders.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by STEVE81 View Post
    What I really need to do is to become best friends with a local that has a big shop garage and talk him into letting me keep my boat there!
    Not a bad idea offer a little cash to store it. I also rent and have the no parking boats/trailers at the house rule. I was going to rent a outdoor storage spot and use solar like the one I posted above. But I got lucky and my father sold his boat leaving a empty spot for mine to fill for a few bucks a month.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast