Georgia Boat Buying

Tentativly scheduled to head to Georgia at the end of next week to pick up a new (used) boat. Is there anything special title/registration wise in the state? I will have cashiers checks and cash and the owner does have a lien on it. He will be checking on the selling process with his bank this week. Something was mentioned about having the bank/loan holder mail me the title after everything clears and I could take the boat right away. I always write up bill of sales when purchasing larger items and plan to do one here as well. In the past, I have went directly to the bank or whatever with the seller and had the bank release the title right away. I do know that sometimes the titles are located out of state if the loan was through a national lender.

Anything I should look out for? Or suggestions on how to process everything? It is a 13hr drive down there so I want to make sure everything is taken care of.

Thank you
    2020 Triton TRX19- Mercury 225 ProXs 4s
    Solix 12 MSI Console, Solix 12MDI Bow
    Helix 9 Mega 360 Bow
    Garmin 106sv Livescope Bow
    Ultrex, Dual 8' Power Pole Blades
    2022 Silverado
    Member of Skoolin' Bass Anglers and Wolf River Bass Club

2. Member
    if you are out of state buying a boat an taking funds don't leave without all your titles an what ever else you will need to get it registered when you get home on a out of state finance it can take 3 weeks most of the tie to get our titles.

3. Member
    The problem I have ran into buying from GA is that they don't have to title their outboards, so alot of times they won't have one. Trying to get a duplicate title in SC from GA. is nearly impossible.

4. Member
    Some states have titles some done some states it's a option . Get a notary to stamp your bill of sale making it legal . If the seller owes for boat you can have them have the title if there is one to the branch he does business with . That way theres no we'll send you the paper work later . They can have it a the local branch because you will be there to pay off boat . When you get your cashiers check get the name and phone number of person responsible for issue of check . Now day's cadhiers checks are held because of counterfiets . By having the name and number the sellers bank can call and verify your funds are good . Like i said some states title boats some don't i would call the Ga dept of transportion and find out before going . Some states go by Bill of laiden . Some states have trailer tags some don't if so get a copy of tag recipt . If you have questions i would call the bank where he has it financed and tell them your going to be there buying one of their customers boats what do the require to get the paperwork released to you upon you paying the funds . I would also call where you register you boats and find out what they need to register boat in your name in your state . Sounds like some work with the world of scammers you better take the time to do your home work . It's a new world and this seller is probaly on the up and up but if he's not your left without your money and no boat are more paper work than you want to deal with . Example i live in Ms and bought a bought in Alabama and they don't require tags on boat trailers . I later sold the boat to a man in La and they wanted tag recipts for all the years of boats age . So i had to buy 3 tags from Mississippi to have his paper work right . And they would not let him register boat or buy tag until he got the paper work and they didn't care that Alabama didn't issue tags . I want ever sell anything to anyone in La the required him to tile boat then motor then trailer . Thats another thing some states title boats and trailers not one title does it all .

5. Member
    If I remember correctly, as far as Wisconsin is concerned, I havent ever had a title for the motor or trailer, just the boat itself. The type and horsepower of motor is listed on that same title but separate. We do not need tags on our trailers either. I am waiting to see if he can get the title or not, I would really prefer to have it when I leave.
    Helix 9 Mega 360 Bow
    2022 Silverado

6. Member
    In GA the boat and trailer are 2 separate items. I would get a BOS for both boat and trailer and you both get a copy of each. The boat is registered thru the state and trailer thru our local county tag office. The owner should have a credit card sized card showing current boat registration with Georgia DNR that goes to the buyer at the time of sale. It could be handy to you in transferring ownership in your state.
    1994 Ranger 354V - Johnson Fast Strike 150

7. Banned
    I would want to speak with the banker/finance co. rep before giving him any cashier's check. And they should verify that the title is in their hands. Hopefully the banker/finance co. rep could get the title in his hands, and you could exchange funds and pickup the title and a bill of sale at the same time.

Often banks prefer wire transfers on payoffs, too.

8. Member
    A wire transfer of funds may be the only way his bank may be able to immediately release the title. You may have to wait for a cashier check to clear.

9. Member
    I would do a cashiers check made out to the seller and the bank. Then he has to pay off the boat
    LIFE IS GOOD
    STILL CAN'T CATCH A FISH.

10. Banned
    What boat? Did You even look at Blazers?

On the way back, how many spots are You planning on hitting?

11. Member
    Getting a Phoenix 721, no lakes on the way back. Driving straight there and straight back.
    Helix 9 Mega 360 Bow
    2022 Silverado

12. Member
    Only a title on the trailer in GA, boat and motor do not have them. I got manufacture's Statement of Origin for mine when I bought my boat new back in 2015.

From this link... https://georgiawildlife.com/boating/registration

Boat is Registered in Georgia
    Seller should give the buyer a signed and detailed bill of sale and the Georgia boat registration card. The bill of sale must contain sufficient information to identify the boat, such as hull identification number, year, make, model, Georgia boat registration number, etc. Buyer should obtain the detailed bill of sale and the seller’s registration card. If the seller is not the owner of record on the Georgia registration, the seller should also give the buyer copies of bills of sale that form a chain back to the owner of record to show the boat was legally transferred by the owner of record to each subsequent owner if these bills of sale are available. Buyer should obtain the detailed bill of sale from the seller and copies of bills of sale going back to the owner of record (if available), and the original registration card (if available). The previous owner’s registration card should be retained by the buyer until their registration card is received – after their registration card is received we suggest the previous owner’s registration card be destroyed.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mean_dean View Post
    Only a title on the trailer in GA, boat and motor do not have them. I got manufacture's Statement of Origin for mine when I bought my boat new back in 2015.

From this link... https://georgiawildlife.com/boating/registration

Boat is Registered in Georgia
    Seller should give the buyer a signed and detailed bill of sale and the Georgia boat registration card. The bill of sale must contain sufficient information to identify the boat, such as hull identification number, year, make, model, Georgia boat registration number, etc. Buyer should obtain the detailed bill of sale and the seller’s registration card. If the seller is not the owner of record on the Georgia registration, the seller should also give the buyer copies of bills of sale that form a chain back to the owner of record to show the boat was legally transferred by the owner of record to each subsequent owner if these bills of sale are available. Buyer should obtain the detailed bill of sale from the seller and copies of bills of sale going back to the owner of record (if available), and the original registration card (if available). The previous owner’s registration card should be retained by the buyer until their registration card is received – after their registration card is received we suggest the previous owner’s registration card be destroyed.
    Thank you for the information. We are going to have a bill of sale made up and have it notarized. I am not sure yet if I am going to do wire transfer or cashier check, still working out the details on that.
    Helix 9 Mega 360 Bow
    2022 Silverado