Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    It no big deal. He is wanting to do this deal at his dealer he is buying. More paper work and reality is you will be buying it from his dealer. Unless his boat is 100% paid for you would not receive titles on the day of, regardless.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

If something goes south it's easier to go after dealership than individual as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    It no big deal. He is wanting to do this deal at his dealer he is buying. More paper work and reality is you will be buying it from his dealer. Unless his boat is 100% paid for you would not receive titles on the day of, regardless.
    yea it looks like I will be making check out to dealer instead of him and dealer will send me titles for boat, motor and trailer (WI is not a title holding state for boats so the bank only needs a copy of titles).
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by b*******51 View Post
    yea it looks like I will be making check out to dealer instead of him and dealer will send me titles for boat, motor and trailer (WI is not a title holding state for boats so the bank only needs a copy of titles).
    Yep. I had cashiers check made out to dealer. I got a bill of sale from the dealer also.
    Mike
    Ranger Z520
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    If something goes south it's easier to go after dealership than individual as well.
    that is what I am thinking and considering the 16 hours travel one way it seems more assuring going through a dealer

6. Member
    Don't be too weirded out by the area you are going to be in to buy this vessel.

Quote Originally Posted by Garage Dog View Post
    ^^^^^FIFY^^^^^
    Really? It's simple to understand

8. Member
    its an in an out deal just be sure the guy your buying the boat from has all his title an registration when you pick the boat up an fund an fund it if not walk away no reason for him to dodge taxes an be a pain for you after they have the money since you are out of state its hard to get title work completed .

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Exactly, I had to pay a fee in Oklahoma one time when I got a boat there and I lived in another state, had something to do with a highway fee or something, it was only $10, but it seemed stupid, good luck

Quote Originally Posted by janky View Post
    lol love seeing new places! Friend of a friend is letting me crash with him at Lake Charles.....says we are going to do some redneck (coon ass) stuff when I get down there

11. Member
    Trout, LA is in redneck country, son. You should hit up Toledo Bend or Rayburn on your way back.

Trout, LA is in redneck country, son. You should hit up Toledo Bend or Rayburn on your way back.
    planning to make a fishin trip out of it! If all goes well I will post up here and let you know what I ended up getting!

13. Member
    LOL - I was going to add something similar.

The big town of Trout, LA it is entirely possible the title is sitting in a lock box in the back of a local credit union/feed store combination.

Title will likely take a week or 2 to catch up - unless they can do a 2-party transfer. Never done one that way myself, but shouldn't be impossible. Depending on age - and at a $33,000 purchase price, I'm assuming pretty new - there should be separate titles for boat, motor, trailer - Louisiana does title trailers - I know some states do not. Make sure you do a separate bill of sale for the trailer, at least. Using the dealership will help get all that done smoothly, I would think. Also make sure the dealership has a notary available when you're planning to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky View Post
    LOL - I was going to add something similar.

The big town of Trout, LA it is entirely possible the title is sitting in a lock box in the back of a local credit union/feed store combination.

Title will likely take a week or 2 to catch up. Depending on age - and at a $33,000 purchase price, I'm assuming pretty new - there should be separate titles for boat, motor, trailer - Louisiana does title trailers - I know some states do not. Make sure you do a separate bill of sale for the trailer, at least. Using the dealership will help get all that done smoothly, I would think. Also make sure the dealership has a notary available when you're planning to be there.
    boat, motor and trailer have titles on this boat (2013). what would I need a notary for?

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by b*******51 View Post
    boat, motor and trailer have titles on this boat (2013). what would I need a notary for?
    In Louisiana Bill of Sale is usually notarized, and required to register a boat - I thought that was standard practice. Looks like many states don't require the notary though, my mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky View Post
    In Louisiana Bill of Sale is usually notarized, and required to register a boat - I thought that was standard practice. Looks like many states don't require the notary though, my mistake.
    no worries. It would be a nice addition to have anyways!

17. Member
    I bought a boat out of state with a lien on it. I gave them one check made out to the lien holder and one to the owner for his equity. In this case I would give them one check to the lien holder and one to the dealer.

Also, Wisconsin does provide a paper title for all boats over 16’ long.

Has the boat you are buying been used in salt water?

18. Member
    I never heard of a courtesy trade what exactly is it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassin08 View Post
    I bought a boat out of state with a lien on it. I gave them one check made out to the lien holder and one to the owner for his equity. In this case I would give them one check to the lien holder and one to the dealer.

Also, Wisconsin does provide a paper title for all boats over 16’ long.

Has the boat you are buying been used in salt water?
    no salt water use and WI will issue WI title to me when I register but I need the current Louisiana titles to do so (which seller has)

I understand the concept as it could save the seller taxes. What you need to find out is if YOU will incur more taxes in your state. In GA, a boat transaction is considered a "casual sale" if you buy it from an individual and do not pay any state taxes. If I buy it from a dealer, then you do incur a tax bill.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast