led install questions

going to install Oznium bolts. the rail around my back deck is angled up. What would you do with that? The led's will shine upward.. Also what wire connectors have you had good luck with?

2. Member
    Regarding wire connectors, I recommend any of the Posi-Lock, Posi-Twist and Posi-Tap connectors. Wonderful little tools. My LED setup is wired with Posi-Twists.

This is what I used when doing mine...
    They are filled with dialectric grease, no wire stripping, just put the wires in and give it a squeeze!
    "Cast Everything in the Best Light Possible"

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankb8 View Post
    This is what I used when doing mine...
    They are filled with dialectric grease, no wire stripping, just put the wires in and give it a squeeze!
    perfect! who sells them?

5. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigboy4au View Post
    perfect! who sells them?

6. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

7. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    3m makes a high quality one for 3 wires good for t tapping https://www.amazon.com/3M-TM-Scotchl...gateway&sr=8-4
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    info@drewcraft.com

8. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    these work great as long as not under water or in a very wet area, usually work fine in lockers, no cutting into the factory wires when tapping in
    https://www.amazon.com/Connectors-El...s%2C156&sr=8-8
    info@drewcraft.com

Those are 3m schotchloks. If you go with them get the pliers that are made for them. You can use regular pliers or needle nose but if you over crimp or under crimp them they will eventually work their way open.

10. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    I use these for 16g and smaller, I have a low voltage wiring business so I have lots on my van, they have lots of tiny needles inside and gel
    http://www.dolphincomponents.com/cat...ndard-3207.pdf

here
    https://www.amazon.com/Dolphin-DC-10...7FDHVS397D3P36

these are a cheap knock off brand

https://www.amazon.com/100pcs-Crimp-...MNPK5JHNAY70C1
    info@drewcraft.com

11. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bassaddic View Post
    Those are 3m schotchloks. If you go with them get the pliers that are made for them. You can use regular pliers or needle nose but if you over crimp or under crimp them they will eventually work their way open.
    ^^^^^yes defiantly get the pliers you can mess them up with other pliers^^^^^
    https://www.amazon.com/Platinum-Tool...ag=googhydr-20
    info@drewcraft.com

12. Member
    perfect! who sells them?
    These are IDC scotchlocks made by 3M, model UY and there is also UR which is a 3 way. We use these in the telco/network world. Amazon has them, Lowe’s and Home Depot as well and there are also pliers made just for them that makes it easy. You can use regular pliers as well, needle nose can be difficult to get them crimped evenly.

13. Member
    going to install Oznium bolts. the rail around my back deck is angled up. What would you do with that? The led's will shine upward.. Also what wire connectors have you had good luck with?
    Contact them and ask if the have a tapered shim to correct the angle. Some companies do!

John

14. Member
    I recommend solder and heat shrink
    1989 Coleman Crawdad
    55 lb Minn Kota Endura Max

going to install Oznium bolts. the rail around my back deck is angled up. What would you do with that? The led's will shine upward..
    How severe of an angle you talking about? If it's not bad, mount them flush. Do a test fit in the dark to see if they cast light on the deck.

If the slant is such that they don't shine down enough, make some tapered "shims" if you're handy. Use plastic or aluminum nuts and grind a taper on one face, so the bolts are horizontal when installed. Use silicone to install them versus backing nuts.

Oznium does make a side view LED bolt too... maybe an option to consider.