Thread: Ranger L boats

Ranger L boats

For those that run them what is the general opinion of this new hull design? The Ranger C (Cup boat) still seems to be selling well.....of course the lower package price is a factor. Money aside which is the better boat?

I don't have a bunch of time in the L boat, but I spent a day in a 2019 Z521L with the new Merc 4 stroke Pro XS. Super nice rig, but not that much nicer or better than my C boat. I didn't see much, if any difference in performance or ride. Of course the 4 stroke was awesome and having all the new electronics was really cool. If I were in the market, the L boat would certainly be considered, bit so would another C boat.

3. Member
    As Dean said above, we don't really have enough info regarding C vs L boat for 2019. However, the 2018 L was slower than the C boat and quite a bit higher in price. Have a buddy that just traded his 07 for a used 2017 521C and another buddy that just ordered a new 521C with merc 4 stroke. Kind of feel bad for some of the guys that flip boats every year and have the 18 L with the Pro XS 2 stroke.

4. Member
    i have a 2018 50th aniversary edition z520l with a 2019 merc 250 pro xs 2 stroke. it has a 25p fury prop and so far i can only get about 5400 rpm out of it and 69 mph with a full tourney load and 2 men. I am changing to a fury 4 blade 24p next week so hopefully i will get a few more rpm and be around 74mph. hopefully that is. ride wise i can't tell any difference compared to my 2002 520 other than this boat tends to chine walk i think because it is right on the point of climbing on the pad when it maxes out on speed and rpm; but at 68.5 mph it is smooth as silk.

5. Member
    Just a side question, is it true that you cannot order C boats with your color combo?
    2023 Ranger 521R DC
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4S

6. Member
    I went from a 520C to a 520L with the 4stroke. I thought my C boat was the best I've had until the L. Both are fine rides and one can't go wrong with either. Fished my first tournment last week in the L and was very impressed how it handled boat wakes at the start of tournament, we were boat 74. Two fishermen, half tank of fuel, live wells full of water she was running 71 for short bursts, as it's not totally broken in. Satisfied with that, as I carry a heavy load. All in all, I like the L boat just a tad, no just like it better than my C, which I loved. Either is a good choice and quality in the 2019 is as good as the 2013 C boat. And the 4 Stroke Mercury is an awesome engine.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MakingWaves View Post
    Just a side question, is it true that you cannot order C boats with your color combo?
    Just bought one last May. You pick your colors.

I don’t like the seats in the L’s
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

9. Member
    According to one of the guys working ranger booth at classic. Same hull just different steps along the sides to get rid of water spalsh.

10. Member
    I think if you want power poles the Ranger Cup boat package is the ticket (value). Otherwise I will look at the L boat.

Quote Originally Posted by fscott1520svx View Post
    i have a 2018 50th aniversary edition z520l with a 2019 merc 250 pro xs 2 stroke. it has a 25p fury prop and so far i can only get about 5400 rpm out of it and 69 mph with a full tourney load and 2 men. I am changing to a fury 4 blade 24p next week so hopefully i will get a few more rpm and be around 74mph. hopefully that is. ride wise i can't tell any difference compared to my 2002 520 other than this boat tends to chine walk i think because it is right on the point of climbing on the pad when it maxes out on speed and rpm; but at 68.5 mph it is smooth as silk.
    I've got almost the exact same setup as you. I can get 5700 rpms if I do everything just right, i.e. empty the livewells with just me in the boat. I also found out the Atlas jackplate on it has to be on level 8 or 9 to really drive nice even though it is a little harder to steer. The ride is great, however, I would like a little more rpm's as well. I can get to 71 if I try hard but mostly run around 69-70. Please let me know how the Fury 4 24P works out for you. I have considered this prop as well. I don't think the 25P Fury 3 is the optimal prop for this boat with this engine. I have the Fury 3 25P as well. At first, I was very frustrated that I purchased a new boat only to have the motor discontinued once I got it. However, as I get more and more used to it, I like it more and more. I will probably trade for the 4s version in a year or two once all the tweaks are made on the engine. I also discovered the Merc 2S uses a lot less oil and fuel than my previous Evinrude motor which was the ETEC HO. However, the ETEC was a beast and very strong. I did have to replace two injectors though during the period of time I had it. The newer electronics are what frustrate me the most. I very much enjoy the increased detail and features, but it is taking me a long time to learn how to use them. I have the Hummingbird Solix units. Here is one warning, my boat leaked and still does a little. The water is coming through the holes in the transom where the motor mount bolts go. For some reason, Ranger placed part of the rubber grommets covering these holes in the crease at the bottom of the splash well and these rubber grommets leak. All they had to do was raise these holes one inch or so and eliminated the risk of leaking. Other than this, everything is great about the L boat. I have ridden in a "C" boat and found it rides a little rougher and is a little more violent on rough water. It was also a tad faster but not enough to matter. I don't know about other "L" or "C" owners but what makes these boats is the Ultrex I-Pilot trolling motor. That one thing changed fishing for me. My major complain about my boat are the seats are not firmly set on their rails and they do not extend to the point where anyone shorter than 6 feet in height can reach them. I am hoping this gets remedied in a future boat.
    2018 Ranger 520L w/ Merc Pro XS 250 4S
    15" Solix console
    12" Solix on the bow
    Ultrex
    Atlas Hydraulic Jackplate

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BADAIR View Post
    The L seats are more comfortable than the C seats. Biggest disappointment on my new C boat is seat comfort. But for the $10k difference, I will stay with the C boat.

13. Member
    L boats no where near worth the extra $ unless you need a Yamaha or evinrude

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknobber bot View Post
    Perhaps but the resale will be higher as well.....especially if/when Ranger discontinues the C Cup package. And it’s impossible to order a boat with a Yamaha SHO. You can find an occasional loose one that a Pro Staffer has for sale. Seems Johnny Morris and Yamaha are very much at odds.

Quote Originally Posted by slipknobber bot View Post
    Depends if you want any other options.

16. Member
    I've had both and like both but I just like my L boat the best of the 2 it just seems to ride better the seats are more comfortable but not eye appealing by any means but the C seats are a little to firm.But any boat will ride rough if the operator is not in sync with his own rig and I think we've all seen that probably and that's just the honest truth.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gsb0824 View Post
    I've got almost the exact same setup as you. I can get 5700 rpms if I do everything just right, i.e. empty the livewells with just me in the boat. I also found out the Atlas jackplate on it has to be on level 8 or 9 to really drive nice even though it is a little harder to steer. The ride is great, however, I would like a little more rpm's as well. I can get to 71 if I try hard but mostly run around 69-70. Please let me know how the Fury 4 24P works out for you. I have considered this prop as well. I don't think the 25P Fury 3 is the optimal prop for this boat with this engine. I have the Fury 3 25P as well. At first, I was very frustrated that I purchased a new boat only to have the motor discontinued once I got it. However, as I get more and more used to it, I like it more and more. I will probably trade for the 4s version in a year or two once all the tweaks are made on the engine. I also discovered the Merc 2S uses a lot less oil and fuel than my previous Evinrude motor which was the ETEC HO. However, the ETEC was a beast and very strong. I did have to replace two injectors though during the period of time I had it. The newer electronics are what frustrate me the most. I very much enjoy the increased detail and features, but it is taking me a long time to learn how to use them. I have the Hummingbird Solix units. Here is one warning, my boat leaked and still does a little. The water is coming through the holes in the transom where the motor mount bolts go. For some reason, Ranger placed part of the rubber grommets covering these holes in the crease at the bottom of the splash well and these rubber grommets leak. All they had to do was raise these holes one inch or so and eliminated the risk of leaking. Other than this, everything is great about the L boat. I have ridden in a "C" boat and found it rides a little rougher and is a little more violent on rough water. It was also a tad faster but not enough to matter. I don't know about other "L" or "C" owners but what makes these boats is the Ultrex I-Pilot trolling motor. That one thing changed fishing for me. My major complain about my boat are the seats are not firmly set on their rails and they do not extend to the point where anyone shorter than 6 feet in height can reach them. I am hoping this gets remedied in a future boat.
    I'm assuming you have pulled your seat forward and reset your Hot Foot back as well to help you with that it is adjustable and you can move the base if needed as well it's not permanent where it's at it's just a basic placement they install it at.

No doubt the L feels more solid in heavy seas. The L is a little slower but not much.
    18 Ranger 521L 50th Anniversary Ed /Evinrude G2 250HO

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BADAIR View Post
    They are more comfortable than the “C” seats. My new “C” seats are a disappointment - no real back support.

There is a bar at the rear of the lower cushion that hurts your butt on the L’s.
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS