Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

BassMaster Classic Observation

Did any anyone else but me observe that when most of the pros got there lures hung up and when they retrieved it they never checked the line for nicks, they just went back to chunking and winding. I thought this was odd being all the money and the BassMaster Classic title being on the line.

I noticed it on the live mix one of the mornings.

3. Member
    I noticed that also. Guess that’s what I do too.

4. Member
    Similar to a few years ago when Martens won in VA and was bird nesting every other cast. Just fishermen.

Quote Originally Posted by btlsranger View Post
    I noticed that also. Guess that’s what I do too.
    I'm the opposite probably retie more than I have to during a tournament day.

6. Member
    They were the ones using Gamma Edge.

7. Member
    I noticed they were better at getting unhung than I am. They dont go into the area where the bait is unless they really have to

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    I noticed they were better at getting unhung than I am. They dont go into the area where the bait is unless they really have to
    i thought the same thing,i might get 2 out of 10 unhooked

Not only don’t they check the line for nicks, but they also don’t check their hook points to make sure they didn’t get dulled.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

10. Member
    They know that fishing is not as complicated as some try to make it.

I must have been watching at a different time, because I seen them check the line several times.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbassman87 View Post
    I must have been watching at a different time, because I seen them check the line several times.
    Kinda of what I was thinking. Ott was checking his line constantly and I saw KVD change his hooks on a crankbait. That is something I haven't done on the water. Most of my crankbaits have the original hooks on em.

I like to see them hold their line and let the rod go to try to get their crankbait back..

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassnpro1 View Post
    Kinda of what I was thinking. Ott was checking his line constantly and I saw KVD change his hooks on a crankbait. That is something I haven't done on the water. Most of my crankbaits have the original hooks on em.
    I watched KVD do that too. If we saw the same situation, he had gotten hung up in a dock rope or something. He spent a ton of time getting that bait unsnagged. It wouldn’t surprise me if the hooks were all mangled once he finally got it out.

15. Banned
    I personally like to test the limits of line. I have fished all day using YoZuri hybrid 12lb and never retied. Same hook, same knot...the line looked a bit rough by the end of the day, but never broke. Did the same with some Seaguar Senshi line, man that stuff is tough.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OkieBud View Post
    I like to see them hold their line and let the rod go to try to get their crankbait back..
    I didn’t really understand the mechanics behind that move. Does it give more leverage to unhook the bait?

Do it all the time with jigs...causes the lure to snap backward...
    Northwoods Adventures Guide Service... Michigan's Upper Peninsula

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OkieBud View Post
    I do it all the time. Works great. They are a little smoother at than I am, but I get it done. Hurt me to bend down like that to knock out a lure, so I learned bag little trick. Works fantastic.

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Tom View Post
    Do it all the time with jigs...causes the lure to snap backward...
    I don’t think they are referring to that technique. I think he’s talking about there you actually let rod go and let it slide down the line and let the rod actually knock the bait loose.

Most of them will change out the trebles almost as much as they retire. Several times a day....I’ve been with KVD when he was throwing a jerk bait and he changed hooks 7 XS that day. Rojas changed trebles 3xs on Day 1. They like them some new, sharp hooks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast