Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

C-Map Genesis upload errors

I've spent quite a few hours recording sonar logs to map my local small lake, however every log I've uploaded so far says error with no explanation why and I can't find anything on the web about it.
    cmap upload.png

They aren't very good about keeping their news updated, or letting anybody know anything without getting a hold of them directly. If you email them though, their customer service is excellent. After several failed uploads I contacted them a couple weeks ago. Evidently, some of the newer updates on the Live units are causing errors downloading. You have to switch back (if running a HDS Live) to like 18.2 or whatever and re-record it on simulator mode. Supposedly a fix is in the works but not sure on the time frame. Maybe somebody with some closer Lowrance / CMAP ties can answer a little better.

If you aren't using a Live Unit, I'm not sure how much of that applies. There are several 'tips' on their website to ensure you get the most bang for your mapping buck, including reduction of file size (lowering ping rate, thus probability of error rate, etc). I think the chance of errors is always there, but very few and far between. The issues I had were like yours, where I had at least 3 one hour trips reject every time.

3. Member
    Running an Elite Ti unit on 18.2 (latest) so I'm not sure it's the same issue, but I'll try re-recording in simulator mode while I wait for support to respond to my email. I've tried both .sl2 and .slg format files and I think the longest was around 40 minutes, some are as short as 5 minutes. Its annoying because I've spent so much time already and pretty much have this 32 acre lake mapped but obviously I won't know until they do their thing with the data.

4. Member
    I re-recorded a log in simulator mode then uploaded it, however it doesn't appear in my list of uploads at all. Does that mean it worked? I wish they could just use the genesis live data instead since I've got a pretty damn good (but not perfect) map filled in there but the shoreline area is garbage and extends way up onto land.
    Last edited by JD88; 03-20-2019 at 02:25 PM.

5. Member
    The moment Genesis starts using GL-data is the moment I stop using Genesis. If in doubt, look at the other versions of crowd-mapping out there with litle or no quality-control of the data-input.

6. Member
    Well at this point my live map is 1000x better than the base map even with the messed up shoreline bounds and since I can't upload my sonar logs it won't be getting any better. Still waiting on a return email from customer service to try and get this working but I'm not holding my breath.

7. Member
    ive had uploaded logs still saying processing since mid/late december.

8. Member
    Weird, that doesnt give me confidence that its an easy fix. My lake has inaccurate depth data from manual measuring 20 years ago so creating an accurate custom map is a top priority for me.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Colibri View Post
    The moment Genesis starts using GL-data is the moment I stop using Genesis. If in doubt, look at the other versions of crowd-mapping out there with litle or no quality-control of the data-input.
    Can you explain this more?

10. Member
    I just got an email from support,

"We believe this issue has been resolved. Please let us know if you still see an error on your trips."

I checked and they all say "done" now but I still don't know what the error was or if there even was one.

11. Member
    My uploads have gotten hung a couple of time also. Happens when I did the upload from the HDS unit. An email was all it took for them to clear it. They recommended I upload from the web uploaded app instead of head unit..
    Sometimes my Granbury maps are posted in a few days to the social map.and sometimes it takes weeks.

12. Member
    I used the web app and got the errors so I downloaded the terrible desktop app and that didn't work either. Didn't try from the unit though. Unfortunately I'm waiting on parts to fix my computer so I can't test it with the other 10 logs I need to upload.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NeWcS View Post
    Can you explain this more?
    How good your mapping is, depends on one thing only: The quality of the data used to create the map. "Shit in, shit out."

The more harsh the quality-control is, the more errors (bad data) is excluded and the better the map gets. The downside beeing it takes more time, it is more complicated and the files used are larger. There is no way to do quality-control of your GL-files, so whomever uses those have to blindly assume that you did a good job while creating the files. You might have done that, but the vast majority of users do not. They map while going on plane, they map with transducers using wide coneangles, they map whit transducers angled way off etc etc.

This problem is very noticable when using maps from Navionics Sonarcharts, Garmin Link and Autochart LiveShare. Especially in areas where the database they have is thin, so they have litle or no data to cross-reference with.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Colibri View Post
    How good your mapping is, depends on one thing only: The quality of the data used to create the map. "Shit in, shit out."

The more harsh the quality-control is, the more errors (bad data) is excluded and the better the map gets. The downside beeing it takes more time, it is more complicated and the files used are larger. There is no way to do quality-control of your GL-files, so whomever uses those have to blindly assume that you did a good job while creating the files. You might have done that, but the vast majority of users do not. They map while going on plane, they map with transducers using wide coneangles, they map whit transducers angled way off etc etc.

This problem is very noticable when using maps from Navionics Sonarcharts, Garmin Link and Autochart LiveShare. Especially in areas where the database they have is thin, so they have litle or no data to cross-reference with.
    Great. Thanks for the added info

15. Member
    I fixed my computer today and tried to upload the last 10 logs I have for this lake but only 4 of them showed up in my list. The other 6 seemed to upload successfully however they refuse to show up even when re-uploading them one at a time. One of the logs is the middle of the lake so its important that it gets uploaded for map accuracy. Anyone have an idea why this is?

16. Member
    If you upload the sonarlog to a sharing-service like Google Disk or Dropbox etc I can take a look at it.

17. Member
    Customer service got back to me quick this time and had this to say,

"The bug seems to be happening randomly to files. The 6 logs that are not on your list are due to the bug. I apologize for the inconvenience. We are actively working on the fix for this issue."

So I guess these files are just SOL until they figure it out and come up with a solution. I tried re-recording one with a different file name already and that didn't work so it must be something on their end that doesn't jive with the data.

18. Member
    Have you tried recording using just sonar? .slg

Not sl2...

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NeWcS View Post
    Have you tried recording using just sonar? .slg

Not sl2...
    I tried to do both but it defaulted back to .sl2 every time and I didn't notice so I only got one .slg log to test. For the record I'm 12/18 on successful uploads which isn't very good.

20. Member
    Regarding SLG/SL2/SL3....
    If you use the bottom-compostion feature with the paid subscription (Edge), I would highly recommen sticking to one format for sonarlogs. SLG has another hardness-value than the two others, so if you mix SLG with the others in one map for bottom-composition, it will simply show incorrect composition.

The same thing goes with different transducers. I get very different hardness-data depending on transducer so stick to one model/ type for bottom-composition.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast