2002 Mercury 150

Our Champion has a 2002 150, carburetor type... It was reported to have had a power head put on it in late 2014 or early 2015... I don't have any documentation for that. Whoever did that or maybe at a later time, the oil delivery tank was removed. Could the oil injection have failed and that could have been the reason for a new power head? I would like to take this to a marine dealer near us reported to be a good service place by a close friend of ours. He has a Mercury on his boat. So I only just today realized the tank isn't on it.

So is the oil injection a problem with the Mercury of this age. I don't even know what model it is. I only found an emission sticker indicating its in the family of 2M9xm02.51CD.... I don't think that's a model number. Where is a model number tag on it. Never did see one. I'm only guessing its a XR something. It runs pretty good and has compression 130 to 124, so it would seem its fairly new in use, even though its replacement was done 5-6 years ago, and reported to have set in a storage facility during the last years until we bought it..

Any pointers regarding oil tank and adding it back or not, I would really like to go back to an oil tank injection system if its considered to be reliable and not a liability. For all I know it was some past owners personal preference to not have it.
    What say you?

2. Member
    I say take it in and get it restored to original condition, they are relieable systems , tag is on swivel brkt stb side, also try v6 section for more info on this mtr, need ser number also
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

4. Member
    Thanks guys for the response, that's a big help.