Our new Champion 181 25th Anniversary seat posts

Was kinda going over the boat checking things.....just getting it ready for Crappie season....

I started setting the convertible seats and setting the post into the holes that were under the carpet....( Is that Normal installation?) But the posts are black and fit so tightly into the hole, there is no way to remove them, at least not easily. Is this a normal deal with these? The Atwood type my ProCraft had are mounted with a 3/4" post extension into the flange mounted on top of the carpet. They either thread into a nut at the bottom of the flange or the just slide into place. Kinda not liking these on this boat.

I found only one hubcap in the glove box. Missing one. They were removed for the Bearing Buddies, I guess.

All new batteries installed. The TM batteries could not be in a protective case because of the close fit of the gas tank. Starting battery isn't a problem.

The windshield flip back walk through glass panel has a problem with missing some way to lock the channel around the stainless rod. Not sure if it has any parts available for the windshield. Probably it won't be closed while we are in it. Just road travel and storage.

Any remedy for the seat post, I'd be interested in hearing what to do about it.

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Do a search on this forum for stuck seat posts, it is a common issue with that seat base.

3. Member
    Look on the windshield for the name of the manufacturer. Those center caps are notorious for coming off.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hankll View Post
    Any remedy for the seat post, I'd be interested in hearing what to do about it.
    Your post holes are 1.75" diameter. You can take/sand your posts at the bottom, down to a little less than 1.75. Or sand the inside of the post holes to open them up a little. OR....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Attwood-SP-...UAAOSwlndZNWjP
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

5. Member
    Thanks Ed R!
    I was thinking about a total refit of the Atwood posts and socket plates, But the OR is a good solution, and the only thing I'd have to buy would be the male pins seat mounts and the Atwood posts. I'm actually wondering after buying this boat, why is it supposed to have the high end echelon reputation. I've already seen a couple of things that are not as good as my ProCraft was. Not having a forward live well, it is a little annoying to have to go throw your fish in the rear live well.
    AND THEN!!! Note to self: don't buy a boat during an active Tornado warning. No chance to take to a lake to test, would have shown the blow out on the trailer tire, and would have shown the bad prop hub. And also would have shown the leak into the bilge from a broken hose or cracked hose connector to transom..nearly sank!
    And had the tornado sirens not been going off I would have noticed the oil injection tank missing. Prop hub is costing up to $200 to replace, and I've got to drive it to where I used to live, in Nashville, to the prop shop there. The local prop shop the marine dealer shop used closed down. They are quoting the tank replacement and carb adjustment and pulling the corroded prop from the prop shaft and a minimum 2 week wait time for a $500 bill.

Prop hub, $200 ...work done for oil tank and pump install, $500, and I'm assuming the parts are above all of the these charges....

BOAT = Bring Out Another Thousand!!!! Got hosed again.