Skeeterzx190

Heading sensor puck

why would u need a heading sensor puck at the bow attached to the bow mounted helix?

GPS course indication doesn't work well moving very slow or sitting still.

The HS GPS will show what direction the boat is pointing at all times and can make it much easier to navigate at low speeds.
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

3. Skeeterzx190
    So it would help in finding waypoints, exact location?

4. Member
    Wouldn't be any more accurate in terms of GPS accuracy. If you have ever noticed on the chart view, the boat icon changes to a "donut" if going less than .6mph. The AS GPS HS allows you see boat icon at all speeds. A little more helpful when using chart and maneuvering to a waypoint.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

5. Member
    It makes a huge difference when your fishing waypoints, you always know boat position in relation to waypoint and exactly how to line up cast when sitting stationary. Its one of the best things I added to boat.

This shows the AS GPS HS indicating the bow direction with the brushpile waypoint on the right side of the boat on the Chart view and 360 view.

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

7. Skeeterzx190
    Thanks Wayne. Great pic. Explains a lot. Appreciate it

8. Member
    I'll second that. I just posted a few minutes ago on this very forum wondering why my heading sensor puck was mounted on front instead of back. Apparently there are 2 differing thoughts on the issue since Vahrenberg thinks it's best to mount in back. I think I like having heading sensor on bow due to it keeping the boat icon visible at slow speeds and helping to line up casts and waypoints.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ezfishn View Post
    Wouldn't be any more accurate in terms of GPS accuracy. If you have ever noticed on the chart view, the boat icon changes to a "donut" if going less than .6mph. The AS GPS HS allows you see boat icon at all speeds. A little more helpful when using chart and maneuvering to a waypoint.
    To the OPs question, do you already have one installed on the back? I’ve got one installed on the back currently and still get the “donut” look on the map. Pretty frustrating trying to lineup on waypoints coming from a point one where the line stays regardless. I can’t imagine why it would make a difference whether it’s on the front or the back, the receiver doesn’t know where it’s mounted. On the agriculture side of things, GPS providers have started mounting two receivers on tractors for the GPS positioning sensor to keep track of direction at slow speeds (sub .5-.6) by pinging both receivers, is that what’s being suggested here in regards to the bow mount in addition to the stern mount? I’ll buy another one if it fixes the current issue-

10. Member
    If you have the donut while using the heading sensor something is not correct with the setup or heading sensor is bad or not getting a GPS lock

11. Member
    So does it really matter if it's in the front or back?

Quote Originally Posted by MJMJ View Post
    So does it really matter if it's in the front or back?
    The Heading sensor doesn't, but the GPS part does. If you have a Helix or number series unit and want heading at the bow and the AS GPS HS is at the transom, you would have to subscribe to the transom GPS also. You cannot share them separately. That would make displaying waypoints and creating waypoints with the bow unit a boat length error.
    If you have a SOLIX or ONIX, then you can share heading separate from GPS and use the transom heading and bow unit GPS.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    The Heading sensor doesn't, but the GPS part does. If you have a Helix or number series unit and want heading at the bow and the AS GPS HS is at the transom, you would have to subscribe to the transom GPS also. You cannot share them separately. That would make displaying waypoints and creating waypoints with the bow unit a boat length error.
    If you have a SOLIX or ONIX, then you can share heading separate from GPS and use the transom heading and bow unit GPS.
    Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDonky View Post
    To the OPs question, do you already have one installed on the back? I’ve got one installed on the back currently and still get the “donut” look on the map. Pretty frustrating trying to lineup on waypoints coming from a point one where the line stays regardless. I can’t imagine why it would make a difference whether it’s on the front or the back, the receiver doesn’t know where it’s mounted. On the agriculture side of things, GPS providers have started mounting two receivers on tractors for the GPS positioning sensor to keep track of direction at slow speeds (sub .5-.6) by pinging both receivers, is that what’s being suggested here in regards to the bow mount in addition to the stern mount? I’ll buy another one if it fixes the current issue-
    Are you getting the donut on both units or just the bow. The HS GPS is probably connected to the console unit and if you aren't sharing it to the bow you will still have a problem there.
    If you do share it to the bow .... you will have the problem Wayne described....better to have it hooked to the bow unit and located at the bow after working to find a place the trolling motor doesn't affect it.

15. Member
    I have Solix 12 Mega's at the console and the bow, and my AS GPS HS was factory installed directly behind the console driver seat. I see a mix of boats with them located there, and just as many all the way to the back as close to the transom as possible. Am I wrong for thinking to mount it as close to the transducer as possible to get the most accurate waypoint reading? Also if that is the case, then that explains why I also see many boats with one located all the way to the back, and one at the bow. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked247 View Post
    I have Solix 12 Mega's at the console and the bow, and my AS GPS HS was factory installed directly behind the console driver seat. I see a mix of boats with them located there, and just as many all the way to the back as close to the transom as possible. Am I wrong for thinking to mount it as close to the transducer as possible to get the most accurate waypoint reading? Also if that is the case, then that explains why I also see many boats with one located all the way to the back, and one at the bow. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
    Yes if you want creating and re-locating waypoints of sonar returns to be the most accurate.
    When you see a subject on sonar and want to mark it with a waypoint, the GPS antenna is where the waypoint will be marked, not the transducer.

Also if you do contour mapping, you would want GPS and Sonar Depth at the same place.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

17. Member
    Thank you for the quick feedback Wayne.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Yes if you want creating and re-locating waypoints of sonar returns to be the most accurate.
    When you see a subject on sonar and want to mark it with a waypoint, the GPS antenna is where the waypoint will be marked, not the transducer.

Also if you do contour mapping, you would want GPS and Sonar Depth at the same place.