2006 200HP HPDI opinions on whether I will need a new lower unit

It finally happened Saturday afternoon I became the victim of a submerged log. This was my first time hitting something on plane as I am very cautious about running in unknown areas and I have actually ran this particular spot over 100 times . I was running about 40-50 and popped it pretty good, I was able to glance back and see it stick up above the surface briefly. It didn't stop the motor, but put me at an idle. I am assuming it messed up my throttle linkage as I was unable to get above 2800 rpms because my hot foot wouldn't go further than 1/3 way down. It happened at 2:55 as I was about 500 yds from check in for the tournament I was fishing. I was able to limp in and make it right at 3. I fully anticipated to see a fin knocked off my prop or something when I got to the dock, but when I trimmed up the motor everything looked intact. After I got it on the trailer I noticed the lower unit was about a cm out of line with the motor (photo included) and determined that my skeg was what contacted the log. None of the bolts looked severely bent, the prop shaft still appeared to be straight, and no alarms went off while I was idling in. When I spin the prop I can hear a minor click which was not surprising after that type of collision. It goes to the shop tomorrow, I really wanted to drop the lower to inspect it but with insurance getting involved I decided to not touch anything and let the mechanic do the diagnosis and report to the insurance company. Anyone have any opinions on whether I will need a new lower unit or experienced a similar situation?
    lowerUnit_3_16_19.jpg

2. Member
    Well there were no opinions, so I’ll let everyone know the diagnosis. The prop shaft may have a slight bend won’t know till they put it on the machine. Most damage was the throttle linkage/throttle body. The impact and kick up of the motor bent some parts pretty good. Looking at a new throttle body and potential new prop shaft currently.

3. Member
    Dang. Best of luck to ya. Happens a lot here on the upper mississippi. Lots of logs hiding especially in high water.