Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Meniscus replacement

Anyone had this done instead of a knee replacement?

2. Member
    Don't know about that but just today I spoke with a lady who had her meniscus area injected with a gel type material. She said that did her no good at all.
    GETFISHED !!!

3. Member
    gel helps some and dont others , it helped me a few years ago, had it done back in Nov , didnt help much , I am taking osteo-bio-flex and hemp oil, that seems to help some ,
    1996 Javelin 409T DC /225 Johnson Venom

4. Member
    Had mine scoped 10wks ago, Dr told me then my meniscus was in terrible condition and it was a 50/50 chance the scope would work, while it is some better iys not what I want, he is now saying knee replacement but Im just not sure Im ready for that?

5. Member
    If a doctor recommends a knee replacement, get a second opinion. If the opinions agree, get it done. Lots of quality time lost to people that wait. Guys are wearing out knees in 20-25 years now. They are doing that because the surgery gave them their mobility, and sometimes a better quality of life, back.

I have a 65 year old friend on his second knee replacement after 18 years on the first. Only regret is the 5 years he put off the first replacement when he was 42.

Best of luck to you!
    Lanierspotman
    2023 Skeeter 21ZXR 2023 250 SHO
    Lake Lanier, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Lanierspotman View Post
    If a doctor recommends a knee replacement, get a second opinion. If the opinions agree, get it done. Lots of quality time lost to people that wait. Guys are wearing out knees in 20-25 years now. They are doing that because the surgery gave them their mobility, and sometimes a better quality of life, back.

I have a 65 year old friend on his second knee replacement after 18 years on the first. Only regret is the 5 years he put off the first replacement when he was 42.

Best of luck to you!
    I agree, I had a scope done on mine, didn't seem to help much, ended up getting a replacement a year later - should've just gone straight to the replacement.

Of course, you should talk to the surgeons and see what they have to say.

7. Member
    I’ve had it trimmed and gel filled(both knees) and in 4years no problems.
    Red Sox in 6!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post
    Don't know about that but just today I spoke with a lady who had her meniscus area injected with a gel type material. She said that did her no good at all.
    I had clean up surgery in September, then gel injections. Helped for a bit but the pain is back. My doc is pretty progressive, and we been talking about options other than a replacement. He's never mentioned a Menisuc replacement.

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

9. Member
    Had mine done 12/17. No more pain and my knee does not buckle any longer. I would do it again. Even though getting put to sleep gave me insomnia.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post
    I had the same procedure. Did not help at all

11. Member
    I was an athletic trainer for 15 years--that said--I am no MD,,but would question a 'debridement' vs a replacement--many factors-
    age, general health, type of lesion/tear etc etc
    I havent practiced AT/PT for about 5 years now--Im sure that somethings have changed/improved and my info could be out of date/inaccurate--

please note that only the inner 1/3 of the Meniscus is vascular and capable of regeneration---how much/where is it torn?

PM me if I can help

Scoped and nothing left to repair. Doc took out the meniscus or what was left. 5 hrs later had knee replacement and couldn’t be happier. I had no idea how badly my mobility has been hindered by favoring my right knee. I’m still recovering lost mobility years later. If the doc says it’s time. Get it done!
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

13. Dogfish_Jones
    I'll be going back after 2 years to get something done to both my knees. I had meniscus surgery on both my knees and really I never got to the pain free side of things. Now my knees are locking up every night and when I straighten them out I have to pop it back straight and it hurts pretty bad.
    Just got through with shoulder surgery and it want so so, the pain is gone in the upper shoulder but the bicep tendon broke away away again and my doctor said let it go. You are now 60 and really don't keed that certain bicep tendon anymore. I am falling apart faster than the doctors can put me back together.........

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kadas View Post
    I had the same procedure. Did not help at all
    I had gel shot into both knees, helped one and not the other.

15. Member
    Check out Oxford Unicompartmental knee system. I'm a retired carpenter, my meniscus in my left knee was worn out, had the Oxford knee put in about 14 years ago, been great for me. They only replace what needs to be replaced,had it done in TOC, Huntsville, Al.

16. Banned
    What does it mean to have your knee “scoped”??

17. Member
    Many years ago I tore mine. Doc took a wait and see and it turned out ok.

18. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by catch5 View Post
    What does it mean to have your knee “scoped”??
    I just had mine "scoped" today. They go in with a camera making small incisions and repairing what needs done. Not as advasive as opening your whole knee up. I had a torn meniscus that was flapped over. He called it a bucket flap. (Whatever that means?) I'm hoping it helps me because I've been dealing with this for way to long. My knee swelled every day and some days it was almost unbearable to deal with. I couldn't squat, work off my knees, and walking and standing all day was pretty tough. Dr. Said it went very well and should be much better after I heal. I'm hoping for the best.
    Last edited by Buck456; 03-21-2019 at 12:39 AM.

19. Member
    Ive had 4 ACL surgeries on my left knee and no meniscus left. I will need a full knee replacement before i am 50.

20. Member
    I have had two scopes done, one of them was caused by busting my but while pulling snow off a boat at work, down 6 weeks, that was three years ago, doing fine so far.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast