Dobyns Guys get in here, Need recommendations

I am bought to put in an order for some Dobyns Rods and want to check if my selections are appropriate or if there are any other Dobyns recommendations to consider. What I am considering is the following:

DX 702SF FINESSE: drop shot
    DX 743SF : weightless and wacky senko
    DX 744C S/H : pitching soft plastics (beavers,etc.)
    DX 744C S/H : pitching soft plastics/lighter jigs
    DX 745C S/H : pitching 1/2oz-3/4oz jigs
    DC 685CB: Jerkbaits/Squarebills
    DC 736CB GLASS: Chatterbaits/deep cranks (6XDs)
    DC 684C: Spinnerbaits up to 3/4oz for target fishing and buzzbaits(?)

Please discuss.
    Thanks,
    Scott

I always recommend when buying longer Dobyns like the DX 745, 744, etc., buy the full handle not the split grip. They feel much better in hand in terms of balance, etc. in my hands.

3. Member
    I personally do not like the 744 for beavers since I had to move up to the 745 to get a good hookset. I think there is just too much plastic to deal with. Could just be me though. Maybe the 744 HP is alittle more stiff in the tip over the DX and it would not be an issue for you.

Also I would discuss the 736CB glass as a crankbait rod with Dobyns. They are great on the phone to talk rods with. While the 736 is a glass rod I think it is not parabolic enough to work with trebles.

The intended use of the 684 to 3/4 oz is also suspect.

4. Member
    so spinnerbaits that heavy, i'd look at the 734. very versatile rod.
    I used to fish the 744 for pitching and it was fine, but prefer the 745 for that now. full handle for sure.
    i think the 744 would be fine for the lighter stuff you mentioned

Go full handle whenever you can.

The DX 745C is better for T-Rigs in general, it's also really good for 3/8oz jigs.
    I almost exclusively use my DX 746 for flipping 1/2 oz jigs. DC 705CB graphite for square bills, and you might think I'm crazy, BUT the DX702C finesse special makes for a kickass jerkbait rod! It's got a good pop, and because it's a 2 pwr, it loads well too.

DC 735 is what you want for a chatter baits and for a 6XD the DC805CBRM is the rod.
    For close quarters spinnerbaits I would go with a DC704. I get people like shorter rods for stuff like that, but I'm 5'6" and I don't own a rod shorter than 7'...
    united in the pursuit of bass.

6. Member
    I'm partial to the full handle as well.
    795dx great for pitching jigs and plastics
    745dx best jig rod in the lineup
    744dx good all around t-rig rod
    734c champ great all purpose stick. Swim jigs, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits.
    735c champ for Frogs and toads
    736cb glass is not only a great chatterbait rod but also for traps around grass
    705cb glass for square bills
    702sf finesse stuff
    703sf shakey heads

7. Member
    Hey Scott,
    When purchasing a Dobyns, I always go one power up from what I normally would with other brands (unless it is one of the "FLIP" models). I personally wouldn't use the 4 power rods for pitching anything. The 4 powers will work good for a "light" TX-rig but not heavy duty, not with a heavy wire hook, and not around cover. The 745 is a great rod for that though. The 746 is an awesome rod for heavier jigs. I feel like the 745 shines with anything up to 3/4oz, However, I would want the 746 for anything 3/4oz and heavier.

The 736 Glass is a great chatterbait rod, but if I am around really heavy hydrilla (which is often) I prefer the 734. Also, both the 736 and 734 work great with spinnerbaits, I have no experience with the 684.

I have no experience with the spinning models. As someone mentioned above, i would go with the full handle models for anything not being used for a moving bait.

8. Member
    I have the Champ 744 "jig special", 763 Champ spinning, Sierra 733 and sierra 704 .
    For Spinning and what you listed I would do the 742....the 763 I have is DEFINATELY more a MH then M. It is a bit overpowered at times and casting distance can be affected where a 2 power would be closer to the Medium to Medium light you are seeking for those techniques. I mainly use my 763 for Tube jigs from 3/8 up to 3/4oz and a friend has the Curado M 7'4" spinning and he easily out casts me on 1/4 up to 5/8oz tube jigs. Do not get me wrong I love the rod balance/length/sensitivity just would probably have gone with the 762 or a 793 if there was such a thing just for the softer tip.
    I have to DISagree with some of the posters (my opinions)...I think the 733 is a true MH with a lighter tip and the 704 is a true Heavy.
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

9. Member
    I use the 744 for flipping and it is one of my favorite rods. It always depends on your preferences.

10. Member
    Thanks All for you help and suggestions. I ended up calling Dobyns and got some good information. So between their suggestions and yours, I'll be putting in an order!

Thanks,
    Scott

11. Member
    What did Dobyns say? I'm curious on how "the people vs. dobyns" compare on selections.

12. Member
    Here is what was recommended to me. I spoke with Garret at Dobyns who was very knowledgeable and helpful. I would recommend that if you have any questions to reach out to them. Very Nice and helpful people.

I preface that some of the recommendations are based of my style of fishing and what I was looking for but they seemed like pretty standard recommendations.

Jerk Bait: DC705CB (More Parabolic), DC684CB
    Chatterbaits: DC734C F/H or DC736CB Glass (Softer)
    Squarebills: DC705CBMF Glass
    Cranks (6XD’s-DT16’s): DC805CBRM
    T-Rigs and Pitching Jigs: DX744C F/H for Lighter stuff, DX745C F/H for most, DX 746C F/H for heavy weights and thick grass/cover
    Spinnerbaits/BuzzBaits/HornyToads/Skipping: DC734C F/H (All Around Good Rod, softer tip than a 704)
    Deep Jigs/C-Rigs (3/4oz): DX745C F/H
    Drop Shot: DX702 SF Finesse
    Wacky Rigs: DX703 SF

Thanks Again all for the Help!
    Scott
    Last edited by Metalone72; 03-23-2019 at 03:03 PM.

13. Member
    For the jerkbaits make sure you don’t get a 684c, you need a 684cb. The 684c is anworm/jig rod. For the square bills I never recommend the 705cbmf, that rod is very similar to the old drifts rods, with a very slow action. I’d recommend 705cb glass for square bull, not the mf. Everything else you chose I’d agree with.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chris c View Post
    For the jerkbaits make sure you don’t get a 684c, you need a 684cb. The 684c is anworm/jig rod. For the square bills I never recommend the 705cbmf, that rod is very similar to the old drifts rods, with a very slow action. I’d recommend 705cb glass for square bull, not the mf. Everything else you chose I’d agree with.

Yes, you are correct. A typo on my part. Thanks for catching.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalone72 View Post
    I am bought to put in an order for some Dobyns Rods and want to check if my selections are appropriate or if there are any other Dobyns recommendations to consider. What I am considering is the following:

DX 702SF FINESSE: drop shot
    DX 743SF : weightless and wacky senko
    DX 744C S/H : pitching soft plastics (beavers,etc.)
    DX 744C S/H : pitching soft plastics/lighter jigs
    DX 745C S/H : pitching 1/2oz-3/4oz jigs
    DC 685CB: Jerkbaits/Squarebills
    DC 736CB GLASS: Chatterbaits/deep cranks (6XDs)
    DC 684C: Spinnerbaits up to 3/4oz for target fishing and buzzbaits(?)

Please discuss.
    Thanks,
    Scott
    Former All Dobyns guy... have moved on to another brand, but can offer some info.

702SF should be fine, kind of a do all spinner ie if you only have one this would be it.
    743 perfect
    744 good all around great at pitching 3/8 jig/plastic rod, heavy texas rig, spinnerbaits/buzzbaits/topwaters/etc
    745 better for 1/2+ plastics
    685CB is not my first choice for your presentations, but it will work. Great target Squarebill rod, but is firmer than the 705CB which is what most recommend for a general all around crankbait rod. A bit stiff for jerkbaits unless you're talking magnums/128's/etc but will do in a pinch. For open water Squarebills I use 764CB, and 685CB for docks, trees, etc.
    736CB - Great for Chatterbaits, but if you want to throw crankbaits with it also- go with the 735CB. The 735CB is much more versitle than the 736 - I had both and hardly ever used the 736. 735 will handle chatterbaits fine.
    684C - should be fine for 3/8

a general guidline... (DX/HP Extreme)
    742C is a great texas rig/fluke/senko rod
    743C for finesse jigs, TRig Senkos, flukes, etc.
    744C all around pitching/plastics/topwater/etc
    745C heavier pitching/football jigs/etc
    746C heavier still 3/4-1.5 oz, could be pressed into flipping duty also if you don't have a dedicated Flipping rod.

And agree on FH in the 4/5 powers, balances so much better. SH fine for the 2/3 powers... 3 could go either way really.