Caracal TM size?

How does the Caracal do with an #80 TM?
    Considering a P2 or Caracal for my next cat.
    Thank for any feedback

2. Member
    I have a 112 and its awesome

3. Member
    112 on my 2018 Caracal

4. Member
    An 80lb will push both boats. However, you can always turn a 112lb down, but you can't turn a 80lb up past 100. I have a P2 on order, and it will have a 112 Ultrex on it. I currently have a 2006 Pantera Classic with a 112 Fortrex, and with all the rain and current we have had here in Eastern Tennessee, I have been very thankful to have the 112lb trolling motor.

A few disadvantages of a 36 volt trolling motor are, 1) They are more expensive, 2) You have the expense and weight of an additional battery, 3) You should upgrade to 4 bank charger system. I feel the expense and lower top end speed because of the weight are worth it, to get multi-day power, and the thrust to go against stronger current.

5. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    I've got a 24 volt on my Caracal. Its plenty of motor. Actually its plenty of motor for most BCB. I'm sure a 36 volt would be great to have, but I don't think its necessary unless you fish in fast current all the time.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

6. Member
    Appreciate the feedback, have never seen a Caracal yet much less been in one to see how it fishes.
    I’ve been in the Eyra with an 80 which to me was adequate for most trips, but from time to time would have been nice to have the 110- but with the added weight, expense, maintenance... as stated above.
    also considering Lithium for the TM batteries which if claims are true, could keep an #80 going strong all day, any day?

7. BBC SPONSOR
    I live in kansas, honestly a 36V and 112lb was a must on my caracal due to all the wind we fight out here. You could easily get away with an 80lb but I know for a fact I could wear out some batteries quick on a windy day. I also like to over do things so a 112lb is what I run for sure.
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billius View Post
    I've got a 24 volt on my Caracal. Its plenty of motor. Actually its plenty of motor for most BCB. I'm sure a 36 volt would be great to have, but I don't think its necessary unless you fish in fast current all the time.
    I have never had any problem, even on the windiest days.

9. Member
    I have a 36v Ultrex on my Caracal and it has really come in handy on windy days. My last boat had a 24v trolling motor and after 8 hours with 15+ mph winds it would start to wear down but the 36v has held steady. I actually prefer fishing on windy days and I think I catch more fish on windy days. My preference would be for the 36v for that reason.

10. Member
    24v does great on my 20 foot boat, have never felt I needed more TM
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

11. Member
    I look at it like this when have you said " that trolling motor is too strong "

12. Member
    80 pound Ultrex on mine. Lasts all day.
    Basscat!

13. Member
    Go with a 36v or you will regret it especially if you fish in rough stuff.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoomworms View Post
    I look at it like this when have you said " that trolling motor is too strong "
    +1
    Always max your trolling motor power. If you are run at the same speed with less power you’re much more quite. When you neeed the extra speed you have it. Your hardly saving enough money to justify less motor.

15. Banned
    If you get the 80lb unit make sure you don't install it with lock-tite as you will be taking it off so you can install the 112...
    Personally I would look into the Kipawa tri-blade. It makes a world of difference.