Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

225 optimax would not start

MN 1225473WD SN 0T019488 ,

Had our first high school bass tournament at lake of the Ozarks this weekend. Boat was in a slip and batteries where fully charged. Air temperature was 38 degrees. Had boat on water for two days with no issues. Was planning on a long 25 mile run but when I went to start boat the lights would come on with the normal beep but when I went to start there was nothing. Battery volts showed 12.4 volts. Checked kill switch and if boat was in gear with no issues. Pulled the boat out ran to gas station pulled the cowling off and checked the 20 amp fuses on the right side of the motor and the connections. Did not find anything but after I did that motor would turn over. Ran back to lake and no problems for the rest of the day. Started it 15 times with no issues. So what do I need to check ??? Was really gun shy and would not get a mile from the take out because did not want to get stranded. The lake was fairly rough the couple of days before the tournament.
    1992 190 SC with 2001 Mercury 200 EFI

2. Member
    So any ideas of where to start???

3. Member
    Check ALL electrical connections under the cowling.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Especially around the starter solenoid(s), battery cable connections, and GROUNDS ON THE SOLENOID PLATE BELOW THE PCM.

Did you move (jockey about 1/2") the shifter around (when it happened) while holding key in start position?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    No I did not jockey the throttle but did put it in and out of gear multiple times. Thank you both for your response will check and report back

6. Member
    Ok the same thing happened this am. Went down to storage unit took batteries off the charger and tried to turn the engine over with nothing there. Drove it to the house took the cowling off and all connections fine. Was going to switch to another battery and tried it one more time and fired right off. About 20 minutes or so had passed. When it does not start i can hear the fuel pump working it just will not turn over. My charger on my battery stated 12.8 volts. The other time this happened was right after I took the battery off the charger. Is there a safety shut off switch if the voltage is to high???? Battery is blue top optima new last year

7. Member
    Does the motor turn over (spin)?

8. Member
    No it will not turn over when it does this. Once it started to turn over took it to the lake to take the boy fishing. Stayed close to the ramp but started it eight or nine times with no problems.

9. Member
    Check for power at the starter when the problem occurs.

10. Member
    Ok will do. I would not believe it is my charger on my starting battery but leaving it off the charger tonight also.

11. Member
    So happened again and battery was not hooked to charger. Took cowling off and starter was engaged but not even a sound from starter. Disengaged starter and still would not start. Did not check power to starter as we where trying to get on lake to chase white bass. Finally turned over went to the lake and started fine for the rest of the day.

12. Member
    Still need the answer about voltage at the starter, when the problem occurs.

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    ^^^ Savage is right. That will help to narrow down the field of possible causes.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

14. Member
    So finally happened again. I have taken the boat out two times with no issues. Tried to start three times and not even a click. Pulled the boat out, pulled the cowling off and got the volt meter to check power to starter. Of course started working and had no problems for rest of the trip. Not sure if I am knocking something when I am trying to get the cowling off. I have
    Noticed that the starter does not disengage from the fly wheel every time it is engaged.

Thank you

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Starter normally disengages when the engine fires off.

You will probably have to check this where and when the problem occurs (the more you move things around, such as pulling the boat out of the water, the more likely that you will not catch the problem).

16. Member
    Had hernia surgery this week so going to be awhile before I can wrestle that cowling off.

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Wishing you a speedy recovery!

18. Member
    Ok took it in and the engine came up with a fault in a relay switch to the engine. My question is if it was the relay switch would the fuel pumps still turn on if it was out.
    Last edited by jaybird73; 04-15-2019 at 06:33 PM.

19. Member
    Would need to know EXACTLY which relay was replaced? The relays have names.

20. Member
    Ok will find out tomorrow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast