Thread: New one on me?

New one on me?

Just got a new Daiwa SS 1300 delivered to the house. Its probably the 15th 1300 That I have bought. Love them for the smooth drag, longevity and the fact that they don't freeze up when fishing below freezing temps. Well this one won't wind line onto the spool without loading it on the bottom of the spool and completely missing the top of the spool so the line ends up looking cone shaped on the spool. I spooled it up 3 times, checked to make sure the spool was down on the spindle and compared it to my other 1300s. If anything, the spool doesnt look like it drops down as far as my other reels while winding the handle to feed line all the way up the spool. It winds very smooth. Weirdest dang thing I have ever encountered with a new reel. Anybody ever seen this before?

2. Member
    keep trying to seat the spool on the pinion - sounds like it's not all the way on
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

I had a similar issue with a new pflueger reel a while back. Basically the spool is out of time with the bail. Meaning it is traveling either two far out or too far in for the bail to lay line equally causing it to "cone" the lineon the spool. I pulled the spool off and discovered an extra washer spacer under the spool on the shaft. I knew it was extra because these are a toothed washer used to click when the drag slips. There is no reason for their to have been 2 of them on there. Took one off and it realigned the spool with the bail. Now i dont know that you have an extra washer, too few washers, or if you need thin spacer washers to tune the reel. But it is a place to start your analysis of the problem.

4. Member
    Yup. Spool too high, maybe extra washers under it on the drag but most likely the drag is hung up on the shaft not sliding all the way down. Change the spool with a used one and if the problem persists, it ain't the spool.

5. Member
    Thanks guys, Ill try the suggestions...

The washers align the spool with the bail and will load the spool to the top, (no washers) or towards the bottom (add washers). You just have to play with it to get it to load even.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

7. Member
    Its brand new, think Im just going to send it back. I looked at the washer stack under the spool and its all normal. Drag washer stack is correct. If I tear this reel apart any further they probably won't want it back. So off it goes. Thanks for the input though. This was a strange one which for me is totally normal. Everything I buy is usually broken out of the box especially electronics.

8. Member
    Check the spool shims. It’s part of owning a fixed spool reel.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen View Post
    Check the spool shims. It’s part of owning a fixed spool reel.
    I checked them, everything was the way it was supposed to be.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fuelleak View Post
    I checked them, everything was the way it was supposed to be.
    exercise rule number “2” then...return it for another one. Lol.

11. Member
    I was in a pawn shop last month and saw a reel priced at $15.00. I asked the owner what was the least he would take for it. He said $10. I paid him but felt a little guilty as I did. It was a new Daiwa SS 1300 Whisker.

Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    I was in a pawn shop last month and saw a reel priced at $15.00. I asked the owner what was the least he would take for it. He said $10. I paid him but felt a little guilty as I did. It was a new Daiwa SS 1300 Whisker.
    Was still warm ?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LTZ25 View Post
    Was still warm ?
    The night has a thousand eyes, but the reel didn't talk.