2019 MERCURY PRO XS 250 4 STROKE TRIM

I WAS WONDERING ABOUT THE TRIM, WHEN I RUN IT WILL ONLY TRIM A LITTLE OVER A 1/4 ON THE GAUGE, IS THIS A MERCURY THING, MY LAST BOAT I HAD A YAMAHA AND COULD TRIM ALL THE WAY UP

2. Banned
    Attain a copy of the operator’s manual for your gauge or engine information display and go through a trim calibration. Set the trim up jut beyond where you find you’re trimming up to. This will give you much more movement range on your gauge.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a few moments to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info each time you post. Thanks!

For this question, we will also need to know what type of instrument you have (Analog, Smartcraft, or System Link). The information provided in Post#2 would not apply for Analog gauges.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    analog

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Traditionally most analog trim gauges will read at approximately 1/4 - 1/3 of the gauge range when at full (max) trim. This is because the gauge reads from the full down position all the way to the maximum trailer position.

Please be sure to provide the Serial Number when you post (required). Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member

Mercury trim

So your saying there is a way to get more trim out of it cuz my gauge reads about 1/3 trim also ,,,so we just need to recalibrate it ?? Mine is a 2019 pro xs command thrust 115 Merc 4 stroke
    Last edited by James 10; 06-23-2019 at 11:13 AM.

7. Member
    No, what he is saying is that the Motor itself controls the max trim, based on RPM and the programmed trim limit.

The gauge is just an indicator, and the analog trim senders read from the full down to the full up (full tilt, not full trim).

If you had a SmartCraft system, you can do a calibration on the trim gauge.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

You have trim and you have tilt. Trim is the lower end of the total range of motion and that is what you adjust while running on plane. Tilt is the range of motion above that which will eventually lift the lower unit out of the water. You can tell the difference between the two because the sound change and tilt moves faster. The motor will not allow you to move beyond the trim range while you are running much above an idle (not sure exactly where).

The gauge reads the entire range of motion, trim and tilt, so you are only going to see the needle travel across a portion of its range of motion while running down the lake. This is normal and expected.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by James 10 View Post
    So your saying there is a way to get more trim out of it cuz my gauge reads about 1/3 trim also ,,,so we just need to recalibrate it ?? Mine is a 2019 pro xs command thrust 115 Merc 4 stroke
    Please take a moment to review the Announcements- one engine ONLY per thread, which helps to avoid confusion and/or Post Hi-Jacking.

Thanks- feel free to start your own separate thread with the Required Engine Information.