Thread: Replacing bunks

Replacing bunks

Need a little information on replacing the bunks for a 05 185vx any guidance will be appreciated.

2. Member
    Call Ranger parts dept and have them ship you new ones. If you have a local Ranger dealer, call them. They can order the bunks for you.
    Get thru bolts (not lags) SS hardware.

If the bunks are fine and just carpet torn, replace the carpet of put Gator bak covers on.

3. Member
    Ranger parts has hardware kits for your trailer. Comes complete with all necessary ss bolts, nuts and galvanized bunk attachment brackets. Purchase treated bunk lumber at a local source. Cover with Gatorbak or original carpet from Ranger. Check for blisters after bunk removal. Consider removing your inner fender panels and inspect for frame corrosion. Repair as necessary. This link may help with your project.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=920983

I replaced my bunks last summer. One of the long ones rotted right in two. I bought the new brackets from Ranger, local pressure treated 2 x 6's, and the gatorbaks. Been working fine for me. Ranger is reasonably priced on their materials.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

5. Member
    Thx guys!!

6. Member
    If you buy new bunks from ranger it will come carpeted but there will be no thru bolts in the bunk at all. you will have to buy lag bolts this is the only way to attatch the bunk to a bracket. I ordered mine couple years ago and thats what happened. I called ranger and they dont do thru bolts anymore. I have not had a problem with the lag bolt yet everything feels reel tight..just make sure you dont get them too long so the lag pokes thru the bunk (will gouge out your boat bottom). I did pre drill every hole a little smaller than the actual lag bolt of course to avoid splitting of the bunk as I didnt want to take any chances. I couldnt find any ss lags so I used galvanized to avoid rusting out. good luck its not too bad just gotta get the boat of the trailer safley thats the trick. I launched mine and left it at the lake and my buddy watched it while he fished out of it.

You can order the SS lags from Ranger along with the brackets.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

8. Member
    I replaced mine with 2c6 treated wood myself. Really a simple job. I was going with the gator backs until I researched it a little. I would advise to do a little research on them prior to using them. Just my advise and not wanting to cause a XXXX storm.

9. Member
    What do you do with your boat while the bunks are being replaced? I think my bunks are fine but I do need new carpet.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingwillie View Post
    What do you do with your boat while the bunks are being replaced? I think my bunks are fine but I do need new carpet.
    Boat ramp. One of my local lakes has a ramp with a long seawall that you can tie up on.

11. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Dump it in the lake. Let a buddy fish while you work, good luck getting him to help when there's an empty bass boat waiting to get used and already in the lake. lol

12. Member
    occasionally I put a socket to my lags after I launch and park the trailer. They do come loose in time.
    2012 Ranger Z518
    Motor Info:
    200 XS
    Serial number 1B882317
    Model number 1200P73EY

13. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by TxRanger1 View Post
    I replaced mine with 2c6 treated wood myself. Really a simple job. I was going with the gator backs until I researched it a little. I would advise to do a little research on them prior to using them. Just my advise and not wanting to cause a XXXX storm.
    John what did your research reveal? I installed the 1st set of these on my Ranger in 2013 after blister repair and would advocate that anyone concerned with hull blistering consider them. No issues.

14. Member
    I replaced my bunk rails already but I will need to repair my side bunks very soon. Thanks for the link.
    Luther Cosner
    Chico and the boys
    2001 520vx Comanche
    225 Merc. Opti

15. Member
    I use 3M 4200 on lag screws to keep them from too loose.

Guys,
    Thank You very much for the replies, they will be a great help. I have my work cut out for me, I will try to post some pictures when I start this project.

Spanky

17. Member
    I'm with mikesxpress I have gatorbaks and no issues // FOLLOWING

18. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TopgunZ521C View Post
    I'm with mikesxpress I have gatorbaks and no issues // FOLLOWING
    Im with Mikesxpress and Topgun... I just ordered a set of the new XP Gatorbaks am I missing something thought I did my research...

19. mikesxpress
    KDAT boards. Paint to match. SS Lags and washers from Lowe's. Replace the galvanized steel brackets with SS ones. Gatorback XP coverings/end caps vs carpet. Never mess with it again.
    *If you load at night add the leds.

Yep. Ray Charles could load up with these.

XP power loading
    Last edited by mikesxpress; 05-31-2019 at 06:13 AM.