Question Silicone or Epoxy

Since possessing this boat I had never removed a smaller graph in the front bow area of my Cougar. Found these holes. Obviously I need to seal them. Would you use silicone or epoxy? Should I tape the underside to allow for a better fill? Any other suggestions?

Epoxy would be nice though silicone would do the job.

3. Member
    I prefer slow-curing epoxy. You want to avoid ANY air bubbles, and the thinner stuff has always worked well. IE something like Hobby Lobby 2 hour epoxy. Lowrance sells a thick epoxy if you are careful in using it. IE mix slowly and carefully to avoid stirring in bubbles, then install exactly as they say to avoid pulling air bubbles in. If you use the thin slow-curing epoxy, bubbles can escape via gravity prior to curing... I usually do this:

Clean the area thoroughly. Take a plastic cup and cut about 1" off the top. Use this piece, plus some kid's modeling clay to place it exactly where you want the transducer. Make sure the cup piece is large enough in diameter to let the transducer fit inside. Now mix up a big batch of the slow cure epoxy (mix slowly) and pour into the cup which will retain it. Wet the bottom of the transducer, and then lay it into the cup opening. Use something on top to hold it down solidly. IE a dowel, etc. You want it forced against the hull to squeeze as much epoxy as possible out of the gap. Do not move the transducer any more than necessary while doing all of this. Let it sit undisturbed overnight. That is about as good as it gets without drilling a big hole for a through-hull transducer installation.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

4. Member
    A good marine silicone will fill those holes just fine. You can even get a couple of those tiny black plastic screw covers siliconed on top of the holes to make it look better
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

5. Member
    Find a dowel rod the size of the hole. Cut in apx 1" lenght, place silicone around the edge and put in place and recess just a little. Then take clear epoxy and put over the end of the dowel. You can then use a marker to color the silicone.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

6. Member
    Was that last word meant to say epoxy since that's what will be on top?

7. Member
    Bought a dowel today but too damn thin. Need to buy a little thicker one. I was going to just shoot epoxy in there but scared it will drip through and not hold. I was going to counteract that by taping underneath hole but can't get my hand there to place tape. I assume you did mean to use marker on epoxy NOT silicone. But please clarify if you see this. I know epoxy does not stick to silicone so it will be on top of dowel to touch wood.

I had two holes exposed after I removed a gimbal mount and installed a RAM mount for a bigger FF. I bought some appropriately sized flat plastic automotive plugs with beveled edges, applied a little clear silicone to them, and inserted them in the holes. Nice clean look. Barely noticeable.
    Like these in the link, but smaller. Easy to find at a parts store.
    https://www.amazon.com/GOOACC-Bumper...omotive&sr=1-3
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"