Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Setup info for a 201xl evo

I had just picked up my boat last weekend and was wondering what your walls thoughts were on setup for it. I am pretty new to setting them up so any info would beappreciated. Right now I don't have a prop to pad measurement but I'm pretty sure its riding pretty deep because my jack plate is flush at the top on the front part of the plate. Pretty sure it's just a 6" plate too. It has a 25p fury and a 250 pro xs. Right now it's running about 5700rpm at full trim and wot. Water pressure is right at 24 to 25 psi. It starts chine walking about 68mph but I am new to the bigger boats so that could just be my driver error. I did notice that right after the bow sets down at take off the rpm's jump really quick to like 4500 to 5000 kinda reminds me of a car spinning its tires. Best I was able to get out of it was 70mph with just me and about 3/4 tank of gas and nothing else in the boat.

I'd really like to know what prop and what p2p these boats like for a good starting point. I'll include some pics of the boat and the jack plate.
    Screenshot_20190319-090125_Gallery.jpg
    20190316_114919.jpg
    20190316_114919.jpg
    2016 Stratos 201xl Evolution 250 Pro XS

2. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    Nice boat, Trevor!

I'm just in the process of rigging and setting up my 'new to me' 201 xl Evo as well. I'll keep an eye on this thread, even though mine has a different animal bolted to its rear.
    Maple syrup... I put that sh*t on everything!
    '09 Stratos 201 XL EVO DC | 250 Pro XS | Razor 4 25P | 6" JP | 10' Talons Gen 2 | 112# Ultrex | Lowrance C12 x 4 | AT | '16 RAM Rebel

3. Member
    Man, if you need anything just holler at me. Its deff gonna be a learning experience for me haha. I'm sure they should be fairly similar in p2p distance so it'll at least give us a good starting point to go from.
    I'm changing out the junky yellow roller for a stoltz one on the trailer. I'll shoot you the link to the one that works if it fits. The yellow one already scuffed a little area on the nose of mine but it wiped clean after a good waxing. But it bugged me enough to change it

4. Member
    3 3/4 or so seems to be good starting point on all bigger stratos boats? 3 blade fury props like to loose traction right at rollover then grab and go. my fishing partner has a 201 pro and that motor, he has tried many props and might be able to help?
    look up senko kid
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

5. Member
    Awesome, thanks for the info! I'll deff shoot him a message. And I was kind of wondering about the losing traction at rollover my brother has a z8 nitro with a fury and come to think about it, it does the same thing.

6. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BassPharmer5 View Post
    Man, if you need anything just holler at me. Its deff gonna be a learning experience for me haha. I'm sure they should be fairly similar in p2p distance so it'll at least give us a good starting point to go from.
    I'm changing out the junky yellow roller for a stoltz one on the trailer. I'll shoot you the link to the one that works if it fits. The yellow one already scuffed a little area on the nose of mine but it wiped clean after a good waxing. But it bugged me enough to change it
    Roller, eh? Hmmmm... I'll have to check that out. I am keeping the new Fulton F2 winch from my 295 and putting it on the 201 trailer since we have steep ramps here.

As for p2p, the present manual JP is set at 3", but I'm going to a Atlas 8" HJP (again from my old rig).

Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    3 3/4 or so seems to be good starting point on all bigger stratos boats? 3 blade fury props like to loose traction right at rollover then grab and go. my fishing partner has a 201 pro and that motor, he has tried many props and might be able to help?
    look up senko kid
    What does that mean?

... and I have an E-TECH.
    '09 Stratos 201 XL EVO DC | 250 Pro XS | Razor 4 25P | 6" JP | 10' Talons Gen 2 | 112# Ultrex | Lowrance C12 x 4 | AT | '16 RAM Rebel

7. Member
    Here is the link to the roller I'm gonna try. Drewtick fixed me up on it. Said he didnt have one sent out for a 201 yet that he knew of so I'm kinda shooting from the hip on it lol. But if it matches up I'll let ya know asap.

http://www.drew-tek.com/parts/produc...ow-roller-kit/

And the roll over is basically right out of the hole shot when the bow rises and comes back down or rolls down its breaking traction. Easy fix though I just backed off the throttle a little and it hooked right back up.

8. Member
    fury doesnt like to be too shallow-- arron said to use a 25 fury if heavy, all plugs out, and a 26 pitch if running light. start about 3-3.5 ptp also
    Last edited by mactlman; 03-20-2019 at 06:47 AM.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    MAGA

9. Member
    "like to loose traction right at rollover "

3 blade fury seems to lose grip right at roll over, my dads basscat does same thing with a fury. he burps the throttle to stop it or it will usually drive right through it. need to vent prop so it spools up to 3500 or so when floored on take off, fully tuck, also to get best hole shot. I like mine to be higher when live wells are empty so it comes in at 3500 when wells are full.
    MAGA

10. Member
    Sweet! Man I appreciate all the advice. Tell him thanks for me. Sounds like I mainly need to do some cranking on the jack plate then. One of these days when I recover from the downpayment I might be able to invest in a hydraulic jack plate
    Ok that might be after an ultrex too lol. About have to have them on these TVA lakes.

11. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar

12. Member
    I can’t take all the credit I have tried over a dozen props including a repaired fury and the 25 fury bone stock with no plugs is my best and it isn’t close. I did get advice from bitsy_bug that ran 82 mph in his evo so that was compelling. Good luck.
    2004 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    2016 Mercury 250 Pro XS 25 fury 77mph
    hds12c hds12c hds9
    Ghost, blades

13. Member
    I have a 2016 201 with Merc 250. I have a 25 fury I sent to Croxton. I had a learning curve with mine. I have a Hydraulic JP and when I first got it could only get 68 before it started walking bad. I had one of my Triton buddies that’s familiar with chine he got my boat to 78 with no problems. It took me about half a season to work through it. I run my motor high when full throttle. I do seem to get some blow out during holeshot no matter where I set JP. But it’s only a second then it bites and takes off. I just added twin 10’ Talons and I’m curious to see what adjustments I will need to work through. Overall I love the boat. I’ve had An old 201pro that was a rocket and never walked and I’ve had a couple Skeeters that never even thought of walking. Strat temperamental but fast and good in rough water.

14. Member
    Yeah, I definitely need some seat time on it to get used to it. Coming from an old pro craft fish and ski to this is a totally different animal lmao. I had more than my fair share of select words for that old boat but I'm fairly certain it's the last running 120 Force in the world
    Honestly I'd say me driving is a lot of it. I'm by far not the next Ricky Bobby out there hahaha
    Really need to do what you did and find someone with some experience to run it with me one day.
    Gonna try to get it down next weekend and get a good p2p measurement and go from there too.

15. Member
    I run a 09 Evo with a 250 Merc. 10" atlas 10' poles. Best I've seen is 75 loaded with a 26 p&p tempest from Mark. Great boat ��
    Last edited by Csteff; 03-22-2019 at 06:44 AM.

16. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    Gonna try to get it down next weekend and get a good p2p measurement and go from there too.
    Was this the Evo at Dry Creek Marine?

17. Member
    Yep same one. I actually got it from Advantage Boating Center in GA though. They must have been wanting to move it because they came down a little more on the price.

18. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    Yep same one. I actually got it from Advantage Boating Center in GA though. They must have been wanting to move it because they came down a little more on the price.
    It was actually moved further away from you??!!

Well, you got a smokin' deal!

19. Member
    Yeah he had it listed with an ultrex but actually had a fortrex on it so got him to come down to $38,200. Litterelly just 2 faint scratches on the boat that you cant see unless you get right on it so was basically brand new. Said a guy bought it to tournament fish in and never really used it then traded it in on a bay boat to fish for stripers.

20. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    I was kind of wondering about the losing traction at rollover my brother has a z8 nitro with a fury and come to think about it, it does the same thing.

That's called cavitation or blow out. Too many air bubbles on the face of the blade when building rpms on holeshot will cause a sudden increase in rpms. This is the reason why your prop has adjustable PVS holes. What is you current PVS configuration? If all holes are open then put a large plug in one and see if that helps your ventilation problem. If it cures it then great if it was not enough then add another large plug. To tell if you closed off too much of the vents you will be sluggish building rpms. All boats/motors are different. I run 1 hole open and two holes with a large plug. You have to find what your combo likes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast