Exhaust plate lower Gasket or RTV?

Getting ready to take my 2001 225efi “0T264057” apart to replace the steering tube bushings and seals.
    Figured I’d do a poppet diverter while it’s apart. The instructions on the Simon poppet diverter says to use high temp RTV on the lower exhaust plate?

Is this recomended? Anybody do this instead of using the $120 Merc gasket?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    EHN- OOOOOH (NO!).

What are you trying to accomplish with a poppet diverter (that water is what cools the exhaust)?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Honestly, it’s a “performance” mod I was going to do while I had the motor apart. I’m tearing down the motor to replace swivel pin seals and bushings.
    And I’ve got 63cc heads and a lightened flywheel going on. Already have 250XB ECU’s, figured a poppet diverter would compliment those mods for better exhaust scavenging.
    I take it this isn’t a worth while mod?

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Personally I would not make that mod- the XB's often had enough difficulty maintaining water pressure.

I WOULD, however, open the idle relief holes in the tuner with a 3/8" drillbit.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Thanks, I’ll skip the poppet then. And yes, I was planning on cleaning up the relief holes.

6. Member
    propeller hubs don't like to be ran with no exhaust cooling,please use both new style gaskets from MERC under powerhead
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................