Optical Illusion?

Saturday backing my boat in I had a bit of an interesting experience. As I was pulling the boat off the trailer in reverse, I looked up and my unmanned truck appeared to be rolling back into the water. In a panic I jumped from the boat to the water, to the back of my truck and into the cab saving the day. Truck is in park, parking brake engaged, no problem (other than busting my knee on the back bumper, being highly confused, and wet up to my crotch). As I got back into the boat a gentleman who had just launched saw the whole thing. He said my truck never moved at all. He said that as I was backing off the trailer, the truck launching beside me happened to be pulling up at the same time and may have given me the sensation of my truck backing up. That's a first for me. Another embarrassing episode at the boat launch.
    2018 Triton 18TRX
    2018 Mercury 175 Optimax ProXS

2. Member
    I remember sitting at a light with the clutch pushed in and a car in a turning lane starts to move or the car next to you inches forward at a red light and having the sensation of rolling backwards.

3. Member
    Try backing into a parking space and the car next to your spot pulls out at the same time. Hope you didn't have your phone in your pocket.

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I was on a step ladder working on a ship in San Diego once when an LHA next to us started getting pulled out of the dock. I reached out and grabbed at the equipment I was working because I thought my ladder was falling over. Wild how your brain gets confused.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

5. Banned
    The mind does funny things... Dan

6. Member
    It seems to get worse as I get older. But yes I have been there. Glad you are ok.

That’s happened to me a bunch of times backing a truck into a loading dock.

8. Member
    A downpour had me pull off the road and park in a large parking lot - slight incline - turned my head, then looked
    outside at the water streaming through the lot. Coulda swore I was moving and caught myself trying to push the brake through
    the floor until I realized it was my optical 'delusion'. Seemed so real ...
    Do not take your half in the middle ....

9. Member
    I’ve had it happen when I was backing down a ramp and the truck next to me was pulling out. It felt like I had suddenly accelerated toward the water. I hit the brakes and didn’t slow down until the other truck had cleared mine. The OP isn’t alone.

10. Member
    I do it to people when sitting on a hill going up when they not paying attention at a red light. Just start to creep backward the tiniest bit and you can see them freak thinking they are moving forward for a second, head whips around and you just know they are pushing that brake pedal with all their might.

When I was a kid guys at stop lights would roll back causing the car in the other lane to think it was rolling forward.

Parked in a truck stop just to take a quick nap. Laid my head on the steering wheel. I woke up to a pair of headlights coming right at me head on. That will make ya chit yer shorts.

12. Member
    Its happened to me quite a few times after backing the boat in while I'm standing on the trailer unhooking the bow. The waves and water coming in to the ramp make it seem like the truck is rolling back. My heart has stopped a couple times because of it. Funny thing is I never thought about again until reading your post, deja vu

I about knocked my teeth out on the steering wheel back when those "spinning hub cap things" came out.
    Thought the jackass was going thru the intersection in front of me so I slammed on the brakes.
    2022 Xpress H17 - Yamaha SHO 90