Thoughts on this custom tunnel. Seaark BXT190

So looking to purchase a Seaark BXT190 in the next few days. I found a good deal on one. However the boat was a demo for Seaark. The dealer told me that Seaark modified the tunnel for an unknown reason. I'm heading out to look at the boat in the next few days but was wondering what your guys thought are as to why the tunnel mod.

I know very little about tunnels but by the looks of it, I would think it was an attempt to make a prop tunnel into a jet tunnel? I attempted to contact Seaark since it is a manufactures demo, no response from them.

Attached is the only photo I have of the mod to the tunnel.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Banned
    "for an unknown reason"....???

^^^that right there would really make me wonder...???^^^

3. Member
    Be prepared for a vewwwwy rough ride. LDS
    Larry D. Scott Retired KY Water patrol/F&W
    www.greatscottshooters.com

2008 TRACKER TV 18 w/150 Mercury 4S
    MK Ultrex 80lb, 102 Garmin Live scope
    and a UHD93SV Garmin on the bow.
    UHD 93SV at the console.

Brother in law used to own a Sea Ark tunnel hull. The thing about flat bottom tunnel hulls, they don't seem to allow the engine, prop or jet, the leverage to get bow lift. Particularly those with rear sponsons. So they run particularly flat. While it runs shallow, you don't get the speed boost of trimming the engine to lift the bow, and you feel every ripple and wave on the water. They are not like a performance tunnel hull that the tunnel runs the entire length of the boat and you get both hydrodynamic as well as aerodynamic lift. This type of tunnel is only to allow the motor to be ran shallow to protect the lower unit from shallow rocks, logs, and stumps.

5. Member
    Finally, heard back from Seaark. They stated there was a flaw in the tunnel design that affected how the 19' BXT ran. The tunnel design worked fine with the larger BXT models. So they reduced the size of the tunnel, and discontinued production of the BXT 190. I did take the boat out in light 6" chop and it ran ok. Will probably pick it up next week. I travel a lot and need a boat that I can use 90% of the time from salt water bays to smaller rivers and lakes the size of ponds to the Great Lakes. I think this boat fits my need. This boat has a 7 degree hull. Most tunnels I found were 3 degree. I'm looking for a boat that is ok at everything knowing it wont be great at everything. The few reviews online of the BXT 190 have all been good.

Was also looking at the Xpress SW18B. But they are a bit out of my price range.

6. Member
    Get an Xpress and don’t look back!