Question Bilge Lid Light/Alarm Rod

This pic is of the bilge lid. I can't set my boat alarm or have a reliable light in bilge until this is fixed. I've learned that all of these latch lid switches must be working properly.
    This one backed out of it's hole while I was trying to get it to work. All I see are the ring terminal, 1 washer and 1 nut. While comparing with other latch switches around the boat, I noticed the others have a washer and nut on BOTH sides (inside the compartment and outside with the silver rod). I can see that the push rod and a small threaded section protrudes to the outside so that a washer and nut can be put on to prevent rod from going back inside compartment. I'm assuming a set of them loosened and then bounced away at some point. The difference with this bilge lid is that the rod comes through the deck carpet. Upon closer inspection, the hole looks threaded. Should there be a washer and nut under that carpet that was installed at factory? I'm quite certain the washer and nut in pic came from inside side when the wire backed out.
    It doesn't appear that I can get any of the threaded part of rod wire to protrude out through compartment so that I could put washer and nut on from outside. I have put the ring terminal over wire and pushed rod through hole. But don't see how I can get it to stay there and not move. May need to zoom in on the hardware and push rod in carpet.

2. Member
    The placement of those isn’t very good mine is a pain in the butt on my Caracal as well. Mine sticks all the time and have to grab it and pull it out I tried putting a little lube on it but that didn’t seem to do anything.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

3. Member
    Does your back one come out of the carpet like mine? If so do you have a washer and nut on the carpet side (either above or below the carpet)? I don't see how I could get the threads to come out the hole and have space to get a washer and nut fitted on. Wondering if maybe I'll need to cut a little carpet away. But don't want to do that if not necessary. Thanks for the reply.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassCatKev View Post
    Does your back one come out of the carpet like mine? If so do you have a washer and nut on the carpet side (either above or below the carpet)? I don't see how I could get the threads to come out the hole and have space to get a washer and nut fitted on. Wondering if maybe I'll need to cut a little carpet away. But don't want to do that if not necessary. Thanks for the reply.
    Yes it does I will check when I get back home in about a hour.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

5. Member
    Definitely not on top of the carpet for sure
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

6. Member
    Can you tell if there is a washer and nut underneath the carpet. I looked at a brand new Caracal today that had the washer OVER top the carpet.

7. Member
    I went to my local hardware store and Lowe's to find the M7 nut and washers that are required to do this. Neither had them. Of course they had M5, M6, and M8. But don't even carry M7. SMH going to try Ace Hardware or Home Depot next.

8. Member
    Found the nut buried under the carpet. Apparently it vibrated off toward push pin end and just stuck there. Since I found it I thankfully don't need to find a nut of these dimensions. This lid switch works perfectly now and has no slop. I'm going to go around boat and tighten the others and maybe put a little blue threadlocker on them.

Good luck if you ever need to find a replacement nut for either side of these lid switches. I even bought an M7 nut today that was thicker than the BassCat installed ones . It still wouldn't fit over the pin to begin threading. Thankfully I don't need them now that I found the missing one.

9. Member
    Checked out remaining lid switches. All are functional and I am now able to set alarm and all is functional.

10. Member
    The alarm can be finicky with those lid switches for sure.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassCatKev View Post
    Can you tell if there is a washer and nut underneath the carpet. I looked at a brand new Caracal today that had the washer OVER top the carpet.
    I couldn’t tell if it was
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO