Stinnettjn1

AVX 1880 Jackplate/Engine Set-Up

I'm a tinkerer and no one else on here has posted anything regarding the AVX 1880/Mercury Pro XS Command Thrust 115hp set-up so I will be the first. First let me say that I don't claim to be intelligent on the subject of setting a jackplate/engine combo up. But I have read a but about it and want to learn.

I bought the boat and did the initial 2 hour break in as it came from the factory. Prop was 6.5" below pad. (All measurements were taken by leveling the boat, measuring the pad height from the floor and subtracting the distance of the centerline of the prop with the cavitation plate level)

After initial 2 hours and I was able to run short distances at WOT, RPMs were 5800 at 57 mph gps with full tank, full livewells, myself, 2 kids, and all my gear all with a 13 X 31 23 pitch Tempepst Plus. The lower unit gear ratio is 2.38:1

I set the jackplate to 3.5 " below pad and at WOT the rpms were easily 6300 (redline for this engine) and still at 48 mph gps with just over 1/2 tank, full live wells, myself, and 2 kids. Water pressure was 30 psi or better.

Set the jackplate back down to 4.5" with same as last load and at WOT the rpms are 6200 at 50.5 mph gps. Only difference is that the kids are not with me now.

I know the loads differed a bit with 2 younger kids out of the boat on the last run, but it seems I have no problem getting the rpms I need by adjusting the jackpkate up and maintaining water pressure. Would blueprinting the prop help? Is it worth it? Should I do anything else at all to the prop or leave it factory? I plan on running 1/2 of fuel or less at all times as this motor slips it. I'll never need a full tank in a day for anything.

Suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Jeremy

2. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar
    Buddy, if you are getting 57mph at 5800rpms loaded - i would go back to that setting, those are great numbers for a AVX1880 with 115 mercury

3. Stinnettjn1
    That's a typo. Supposed to read 47 mph. My mistake. Hopefully it makes more sense now

4. Member
    I want your jackplate on my 1880 if you were getting 57 mph :))

Quote Originally Posted by sclark View Post
    Buddy, if you are getting 57mph at 5800rpms loaded - i would go back to that setting, those are great numbers for a AVX1880 with 115 mercury
    That is very useful information. Thanks for posting your setup. 47mph is still very good. How much to add a jackplate? Is it a 6" set back jackplate?

6. Stinnettjn1
    Quote Originally Posted by deepanchor View Post
    That is very useful information. Thanks for posting your setup. 47mph is still very good. How much to add a jackplate? Is it a 6" set back jackplate?
    Mine is a 6" Slidemaster. Came installed from the factory I believe. About a $500 option I believe.

7. Stinnettjn1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbreaux View Post
    I want your jackplate on my 1880 if you were getting 57 mph :))
    Ha! 57 is not feasible with my set up for sure. I'm hoping to get 53 mph. I might not, but tinkering and trying is half the fun for me.

8. Banned
    Send your prop to Andrew at lake Lanier. Give him the information and he will get it right. He did a raker for me and a trophy, very very good work. Only prop guy I use. Money well spent.

9. Stinnettjn1
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratosguy0725 View Post
    Send your prop to Andrew at lake Lanier. Give him the information and he will get it right. He did a raker for me and a trophy, very very good work. Only prop guy I use. Money well spent.
    I'll check that out. Thanks for the info!

Is there a Vexus dealer on Guntersville Lake?

11. Stinnettjn1
    Quote Originally Posted by deepanchor View Post
    Is there a Vexus dealer on Guntersville Lake?
    Looks like Freedom Marine Center sells them. They are located in Guntersville, AL

Quote Originally Posted by Stinnettjn1 View Post
    Looks like Freedom Marine Center sells them. They are located in Guntersville, AL
    Good to know. I'll be calling them later into the year. That's my timeline. Hope they offer demo rides.

13. Stinnettjn1
    It's looking like 4.75" below pad is where the setup on my AVX 1880 want to be. Still getting right at max rpms of 6300 regardless of load. 1/2 a tank of fuel and another fisherman gets me about 48.5 mph. Just me and I can get 50 easily. Have saw 51 once. Water pressure is 30+ psi at WOT. I'm gonna run it like this for a while before have anything done to the prop. Still not sure prop work will benefit me.

Anyways, not many people have posted about the AVX1880 with Pro XS 115 CT so hopefully this will help someone get a realistic idea of the performance if the setup.

14. Member
    I'm getting about 47 to 48 loaded with full tank of fuel and no jack plate not broke in yet hopefully a bit more speed after breakin