Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    And a 300r without a sporty is a waste. Its all in what motor you want

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

2. Member
    Ok yall tell me what will happen with a 300R with the torquemaster versus the sporty, I am assuming the sporty will run faster, will it handle a loaded boat better ? Just curious because I do not know.

Well the 300 will push it into the speed range where a sporty will keep it from killing you.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

4. Member
    I think what Alli is saying and what I have read on here and other sites is the torque master has limitations. From what I remember is that 87mph is about tops for a torque master. Then after that you are running on a thin edge and very susceptible to blow out.
    2005 21XD W/ 2005 MERC 250XS BULLET TOTAL PERFORMANCE BOAT!!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BULLET FAN View Post
    I think what Alli is saying and what I have read on here and other sites is the torque master has limitations. From what I remember is that 87mph is about tops for a torque master. Then after that you are running on a thin edge and very susceptible to blow out.
    From what I have gathered a tourney loaded 21SDC will top out at about 85-87, I will find out a lot more next week when I go with a guide with same boat.

84 mph is my cutoff. And if you say itll run 87 tourney loaded itll get you someday.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alli ss View Post
    84 mph is my cutoff. And if you say itll run 87 tourney loaded itll get you someday.
    Well I guess I have a lot to learn about a Bullet boat if I decide to get one, Adam has a sporty and his boat about did a 360 on him, he is looking for a torque master now, I seriously doubt I would ever run 85, rarely do I come across the proper conditions to even run 80 in my Triton.

Resale value is one reason too. If you have a 92mph boat with a torquemaster on it youll never sell it. I run my sporty around at 55mph for hours. I run it in the timber at caddo lake all day at 40mph hitting turns like a road race. If a boat spins out its not because of the sporty its a lack of setup. Ill say this- a bullet wont spin out BECAUSE a sporty is on there but it WILL spin out because a torquemaster is on it and it should have had a sporty. What if the conditions on a certain day will blow out a torquemaster at 82mph? Every day is different. If i had a bullet that would run 85 on its best day id have a cone or sporty on it. May cost a couple mph but i wont have any worries.

9. Member
    Exactly, well said Dusty I had a sporty on a 21XDC with a 250XS, loved it

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alli ss View Post
    I run it in the timber at caddo lake all day at 40mph hitting turns like a road race.
    Have you done that in an XRS or SDC with a sporty above the pad? I have, it doesn't work.

Ive seen a 21ss with a sporty on a 250xs run all over caddo and fork with me and ive known of a lot of 21/250-300 hulls and none had issues with a sporty. Maybe a coned torquemaster or some prop work would be the avenue id take on that if i had issues. I know with what croxton can do with props he can help you out

12. Member
    I'm sure a 21ss has no problem. I'm not the only one having issues getting a 21 xrs sporty to handle turns, there is clearly something different about them. Steve Glenn says you have drop the engine down to conserve props, I broke a hydromotive and a txp ot4 in less than 2 months at 1" above which is the heighthhe recommends. Chris Domino and some other folks say the sportmaster doesn't carry a xrs loaded to fish good enough and it can get you I trouble in turns which I have experienced. It ran great above the pad going straight, until an ear was thrown into my cavitation plate. I'm running at even with the pad now which I know is not where the sporty is designed to run but it so far handles turns better and Im hoping the props stay in one piece.

Quote Originally Posted by adam_p View Post
    Have you done that in an XRS or SDC with a sporty above the pad? I have, it doesn't work.
    What motor was u using?
    2005 Stroker 2010-250pro xs

14. Member
    300xs

15. Member
    One thing to keep in mind is that the 300R sportmaster is different than the 3.0L sportmaster. I am saying that as someone who has never been in an XRS but I did want to point that out.

16. Member
    Well I fished all day today in a Bullet 21 XRS, very impressed with the ride and the performance, the boat is a little tippy but not too bad, there were 3 of us in the boat and the smallest was 225 pounds. I think we hit low 80"s and it rode like a dream, he did not try to max it out, wind was blowing pretty good. After talking with the guide I think i will have to put the sporty on the 300R if that is the motor I go with, he pretty much said what Alli ss is saying. Not sure about the jack plate, this boat had a 14 inch fixed plate, will do some more research but i think I am going to place an order soon.

18. Member
    The Sporty on the new 300R is quite a bit different from the one on the older 300's. While it will blow out on you, its my understanding that it's not near as harsh or unforgiving as the older ones...I know that on my 21SST as I keep trimming up past 1-3 degree positive, the rpms will raise, boat will start slowly loosing speed, then the boats steering gets loose around middle, then the nose will finally start drifing left..keep pushing it, it will eventually blow out of you..I know that Chris Domino did some extensive work on my skeg and not sure how much that plays into the handling of my boat - I suspect quite a lot, but I have no prior experience to compare too it.

I will likely trade my SST for an XRS in the future because of the XRS's rough water ride, and when I do, it'll have a 300R and Sporty - if you want the ability to run top end and run timber, put a Hydra Plate on it..bury the motor when your running tight timber, rise it making long straight runs. I find myself running my setup even with the pad a lot as the boat steers easier, it's lot quiter, boat comes out of hole better, water pressure is always higher keeping the engine cooler - when you get the sporty up high with just the skeg and prop in the water, the steering torque produced isn't something you want to deal with driving around all the time. Sporty with hydra jackplate is the only way to go IMO..
    Last edited by falconpilot; 04-07-2019 at 11:54 AM.
    Blazer 650 PRO /Nizpro SC SHO

19. Banned
    Happykamper, you getting an Atlas Jackplate?

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
    Happykamper, you getting an Atlas Jackplate?
    Bob's , did ask for Atlus but my dealer recommended Bob's, from what I gather they are both fine plates.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast