Thread: Painted Tin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Painted Tin

On my first aluminum boat after owning multiple fiberglass rigs. I’m struggling with the concept of painted aluminum. It seems to defeat the purpose of the durability of aluminum. Even minor insults with a stick or a dock cause scratches that would otherwise be not present on my fiberglass rigs.

And the painted bottom - looks like a disaster after only two seasons. I think the raw aluminum bottom on a tracker is actually a much better concept than painting it.

My issue is that my boat is just two years old and it looks much worse than a comparable two year old glass - which in my experience still looks literally brand new with the same amount of use. I’m considering wrapping the boat to hide scratches. And I’d like to re-coat the bottom with something that works like the durable add on they put on glass. Anything to hide the scratches. Any better ideas?

2. Member
    I bought the camo version of the RT188...I tend to fish shallow, always hitting rocks/stumps, etc. The bottom is just a green jon boat type paint basically...the sides are some kind of spray-on paint, not the shiny stuff. Some people don't like the metal deck. It does get hot in the summer and is kind of loud. Still, cleaning is a breeze. I've hit rocks, piers, stumps, etc and really have no visible damage anywhere.
    Bass Cat Eyra 2019
    Mercury 250 Pro XS Fourstroke

3. Member
    How about some pics as well. Considered doing this same thing. My boat has crazy scratches ALL OVER from first owner.

4. Member
    Anyone use any of the airboat bottom covers on their fishing boat? I though about putting the same stuff as in a truck bed on it but it would really slow it down I think.

5. Banned
    If you're that concerned on how it looks, wrap it.

6. Member
    Do they wrap the bottom? If so wouldn't it scratch like paint? One of the things I like about my 2017 RT188 is the plain aluminum bottom. Mine is white with the gray "Rawhide" interior. It's the same spray in as the camo boat, only it looks like a saltwater gray design.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    Do they wrap the bottom? If so wouldn't it scratch like paint? One of the things I like about my 2017 RT188 is the plain aluminum bottom. Mine is white with the gray "Rawhide" interior. It's the same spray in as the camo boat, only it looks like a saltwater gray design.

Yep I wish I had that non painted bottom on mine. I agree that wrapping it is the best option and I’ll probably do that this year. But the bottom still looks awful.

8. Banned
    I like my painted bottom I don't tourney fish, so i almost NEVER beach my boats, and I'm pretty careful when fishing around cover. Guess I'm a little anal.

9. Member
    If you’re that anal never take it places like Stick Marsh, Old Hickory, Santee Cooper, etc... I’ve had to fire up the big motor to get mine off stumps more than once.

10. Member
    I am glad mine doesn't have the painted bottom...I agree, sort of defeats one of the benefits of going aluminum. I've got some scratches too...plan on putting a wrap on the sides only on mine
    2015 Ranger rt188/115 Etec

11. Member
    Well you’d think the easy solution would be to just touch up the paint once a year or so, but it’s actually a pain with it on the bunks. I haven’t figured out an easy way to do that yet.

12. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    My ‘06 Triton was absolutely perfect when I bought it a year ago, but I have put so many tiny chips in the front with tungten weights flying at me! I’m very anal about my boat, and she still looks great but those tiny chips do drive me nuts!

The original owner gave me a good amount of factory paint, I’m just really bad at fixing chips.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

13. Happiness is a Sporty! F150owner's Avatar
    There are products like Gator Glilde that alot of duck hunters use on their boats. http://www.gatorglide.com

Allison XB21 2+2, Merc 250 ProXS, 1.62 Sportmaster, Hydromotive Engineering X-OB 29
    Excel 1751 Viper F4, Tohatsu 50 4-stroke, EZ-Trac trailer
    FeelFree Lure 11.5 Kayak

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by F150owner View Post
    There are products like Gator Glilde that alot of duck hunters use on their boats. http://www.gatorglide.com
    This has potential. I’m guessing it would be a big deal to somehow get it on there though. I don’t have any way to lift it off the bunks or flip it to paint it. Looks like a good idea.

15. Member
    You'll never see what's under the bunks unless you fall out of the boat in clear water.

16. Member
    fish it and dont worry about it, the beauty if a tin boat is not having to worry when you hit stuff.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blakesfav View Post
    On my first aluminum boat after owning multiple fiberglass rigs. I’m struggling with the concept of painted aluminum. It seems to defeat the purpose of the durability of aluminum. Even minor insults with a stick or a dock cause scratches that would otherwise be not present on my fiberglass rigs.

And the painted bottom - looks like a disaster after only two seasons. I think the raw aluminum bottom on a tracker is actually a much better concept than painting it.

My issue is that my boat is just two years old and it looks much worse than a comparable two year old glass - which in my experience still looks literally brand new with the same amount of use. I’m considering wrapping the boat to hide scratches. And I’d like to re-coat the bottom with something that works like the durable add on they put on glass. Anything to hide the scratches. Any better ideas?
    I have a blue war eagle that has the bottom painted and half the paint is missing I eventually just got over it but I did look into this https://www.thehulltruth.com/sarasot...ck-bottom.html
    but be prepared if you go with the slick bottom you will need to keep you winch hooked up when backing down because the boat will be slick enough to slide right off.

I wouldn't worry about what the BOTTOM of an aluminum boat looked like as far as scratches. My 2013 did not have a painted bottom and I'm not bothered at all. That's just me though. Gelcoat on glass boats gets scratched as well. My boat is not a garage queen. It gets used. I take VERY good care of it and the Yamaha...VERY good.....but the bottom gets scratched if you fish it and use it. I would not put anything on it and wouldn't worry about it either.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

I loath an aluminum boat with a painted bottom....
    2013 Pre-Johnny Ranger RT 178
    115 PRO XS
    Due to the increase of ammunition prices... There will be no warning shots
    Honda certified Master technician 33 Years

Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    If you’re that anal never take it places like Stick Marsh, Old Hickory, Santee Cooper, etc... I’ve had to fire up the big motor to get mine off stumps more than once.
    Isn't that the truth!!!
    You can add a lot of other lakes to that list too......
    If you fish out of an aluminum boat, it will get some scratches on the bottom. We go shallow and fish places the glitter boats can't go.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast