Thread: Painted Tin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    That is the reason a lot of us have them! We can go places “they” can’t!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

2. Member
    I bought a used aluminum boat from a guy in Michigan last year. After I got it home I noticed that the bottom is stained like it was left sitting in brown stained water. I know they make some acidic products for cleaning it, but then they recommend sealing it with urethane. I’m too old to climb under the boat to do this, so I just try to look past it. I would think it would cost quite a bit to have this done. Bamaman suggested a metal polish that sounded like a good idea, but I still have the climbing under the boat and then how long will the stains be gone for?

Quote Originally Posted by Bassin08 View Post
    I bought a used aluminum boat from a guy in Michigan last year. After I got it home I noticed that the bottom is stained like it was left sitting in brown stained water. I know they make some acidic products for cleaning it, but then they recommend sealing it with urethane. I’m too old to climb under the boat to do this, so I just try to look past it. I would think it would cost quite a bit to have this done. Bamaman suggested a metal polish that sounded like a good idea, but I still have the climbing under the boat and then how long will the stains be gone for?
    They make some stuff called .... Algex I think is the name. It works. I will see if I can find a link. I bought some and used it and dropped the p!astic bottle and cracked it and put it in something else without the name on it... It really works.

Called Algex ..
    Last edited by Panama; 03-22-2019 at 08:02 PM.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    I used a Canadian aluminum cleaning product called Alumetron and followed it with the urethane coating and so far it has held up for five seasons and makes cleaning the sides a breeze. But I did not worry about the underside of the boat, only the sides and transom (my RT188 doesn't have the completely painted sides). Given the acidic nature of the cleaner I would not go under the boat, too hazardous and a dull bottom is less likely to spook the fish.

https://www.auroramarine.com/store/alumetron-kit.html
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

5. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioChamp183 View Post
    I like my painted bottom I don't tourney fish, so i almost NEVER beach my boats, and I'm pretty careful when fishing around cover. Guess I'm a little anal.
    X2, with the exception of the tourney stuff... just ultra carful
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

6. Member
    Its aluminum, gatorglide is good. Tie your boat to the trailer when backing in and taking it out of the water. It will slide off. I understand about wanting to take care of your stuff gatorglide will help with that, butthe best way to put it onis turn the boat upside down... id fish on..

Maybe they make something you can spray on the paint that will help to get it off with a hot water pressure washer and be back to just the aluminum finish.
    2015 Ranger RT188 (white) * 2015 Etec 115 * Minn Kota Fortrex #80 * Humminbird Helix 12 MSI GPS G3N @ Helix 12 G4N on bow * Humminbird Helix 12 MSI GPS G3N at console * M360-MEGA Live
    Blue Water LED Red Deck Lights, LED White Light in Rod Box & Trailer Backup Lights * V-T2 Live Well Vents * Lew's Rod and Reels. Cool Foot pad on t/ motor .

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bkt1 View Post
    Its aluminum, gatorglide is good. Tie your boat to the trailer when backing in and taking it out of the water. It will slide off. I understand about wanting to take care of your stuff gatorglide will help with that, butthe best way to put it onis turn the boat upside down... id fish on..
    Yep the upside down thing is a big issue. I’d do something with it if I didn’t have to flip the boat.

9. Member
    Not a fan of painted aluminum, my boat is bare aluminum except for a stripe, boat is a 2005 still looks pretty good.
    Pacific 1925.jpg

If having scratches on the painted hull/bottom bother you, and you're going to spend money to avoid aesthetic scratches - consider just stripping the paint off. Low pressure plastic bead blast, or aircraft paint stripper. Neither will harm the aluminum surface.

11. Banned
    Love my painted hull bottom!
    IMG_20190402_12544.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioChamp183 View Post
    Love my painted hull bottom!
    IMG_20190402_12544.jpg
    Dang that thing must have 20 min on the motor. I don’t have one 6 inch x 6 inch square anywhere on mine that looks like that!

13. Member
    I was in water so shallow yesterday that I had the motor all the way up and was digging my way across a flat with the trolling motor holding it up just under the surface spraying muddy water all under the boat. One reason I wanted a boat without the painted bottom and no carpet. I wasn’t worried about slinging the white bass I was catching over the side and then hitting the deck. It all washed off with the hose at the ramp. Another guy was back in the same cove with a Tracker version like my boat chunking a cast net getting shad to fish with. Different strokes guys.

14. Happiness is a Sporty! F150owner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    . . . . . I wanted a boat without the painted bottom and no carpet. . . .
    hey John, I got an Excel Viper F4 this past summer for duck hunting and put a troller and graph on it (removable for duck season). It is camo and has the spray liner type coating on the sides and the interior. I'm looking forward to getting shad guts and striper blood in it soon!! You'd never hear me say that before with the Allison! Also, banging the dock or pulling it up on the bank won't hurt it!

Aluminum boats and getting back to the basics is the new thing.

Allison XB21 2+2, Merc 250 ProXS, 1.62 Sportmaster, Hydromotive Engineering X-OB 29
    Excel 1751 Viper F4, Tohatsu 50 4-stroke, EZ-Trac trailer
    FeelFree Lure 11.5 Kayak

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12