Thread: Twister grubs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Twister grubs

Good day BBC,
    I would like to ask the community on their knowledge and experience. I'm looking for a twister style grub in 2 or 2.5 inch. I want a twister tail that will twist on a super slow retrieve.
    I recently tried some yum grubs as they felt very soft and I thought that they would swim freely. They do fine on a medium retrieve but as soon as I slow the roll the tail stops twisting. I was using a 1/16 jig head and would be afraid to use them on a 1/32. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tight lines to all and thanks!
    Last edited by bassmeister5; 03-22-2019 at 05:50 PM.

2. Member
    I've always had good luck with Kalin brand. I don't use a 1/32 much but I've thrown them a bunch on a 1/16.

3. Member
    I have had good luck with Kalin also.

4. Member
    Cool! Thanks for the info.
    I'll get a few bags and try em.

5. Member
    I get these, I have known the owner for years and he makes a very good product and will do custom colors. These are reasonably priced.

https://top-secret-jig-co.myshopify....urly-tail-grub

The Reaper and the Flapjack are also good producers for jigging.

6. Member
    Thank you for the link D.O.C.! The times that I do use the 1/32 is when I'm swimming my jig through tree tops. 1/16 tends to hang up where the lighter jig head will let me hop the jig up off the limbs when I feel them and not hang up as much.

7. Member
    Might try Fle Fly out of Okla. Very soft and turn at a crawl. Snake River may be able to help you also. Bob is in Oregon.

8. Member
    I just got some Kalin, 2" Triple Threat Shad grub, twisty tail, high glitter in tail.....can't wait to cast them. Have them on 1/16 and 1/8 jigs......

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    Might try Fle Fly out of Okla. Very soft and turn at a crawl. Snake River may be able to help you also. Bob is in Oregon.
    The go-go minnow looks good. The minnow shaped body might even help hopping the jig over tree limbs. The tail looks like it would turn very effortlessly. Thanks for the Intel all!

10. Member
    The Bobby Garlands are good too. They make a twist tail with more of minnow shaped body. They are a tad bulkier than a traditional grub but they are soft and have a nice action to the tail. I think they are called a swimming minnow if memory serves.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassmeister5 View Post
    The go-go minnow looks good. The minnow shaped body might even help hopping the jig over tree limbs. The tail looks like it would turn very effortlessly. Thanks for the Intel all!
    You might benefit from calling Snake River. I haven't used him personally, but those that do are very happy with his product. He will evidently work with you on what you want, size , color etc.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    You might benefit from calling Snake River. I haven't used him personally, but those that do are very happy with his product. He will evidently work with you on what you want, size , color etc.
    Is this who your talking about?

Snake River Bait
    Fishing Tackle Repair & Parts
    1970 N Holmes Ave
    Idaho Falls, ID - Bonneville County

13. Member

Snake River Bait
    1970 N Holmes Ave
    Yes I believe it to be. Bob H but I don't remember the rest of the last name. He also ties some jigs but is known more for the soft plastics. You can check him out over on crappie.com on the jig/lure making forum. Soft Plastics I think it is titled. Several seem to be loyal to his offerings. Worth a phone call or a pm

14. Member

Snake River Bait
    1970 N Holmes Ave
    My mistake. There I go trusting the memory again...sorry. Look up bobsjigs.com He is out of Oregon. At least I had that part right.

15. Member
    edit
    Last edited by SPOONMINNOW; 09-13-2020 at 07:32 AM.

16. Member
    Well I finally got out to chase some slabs. I ended up getting a 15 count bag of the PB ribbon tail chartreuse grubs. I order a pack of the fle fly in firecracker but shipment delayed due to adverse weather. The ribbon tail truly swims at very slow retrieves as I needed. I threw the grubs on 1/16th chartreuse or fluorescent red roadrunner jigheads. Started off catching tuxedo black males and small females in 2-10 foot of water. Once I got tired of that I moved out to some Rocky drop offs and ledges and found the bigger girls in 15-20 foot of water. IMG951481.jpgIMG951477-20190419-163553903.jpg

17. Member
    edit

18. Member
    No, I was using 4lb p-line floroclear and a 1/16th roadrunner. If I was fishing 20-30 I will use a 1/8th. Specially if the wind is blowing. A little later in the afternoon I did go to my 8'4" baitcaster and my Core 51mg with braid to 8lb fluorocarbon leader and a small crankbait. Had to drop that pretty quick as the crappie inhaled it too deep and safe releasing em was no Bueno.

19. Member
    edit

20. Member
    I love the p-line mono floroclear as my main line. It's very smooth casting and the knots are string as long as you moisten and tie em right. I tend to use the p-line fluorocarbon for leaders only. I've tried it as a main line, bit it tends to get wind knots like crazy as its too stiff. Can't waste any time messing with knotty line when the crappie are on the bite.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast