Helix G3 HELP: Need to stop 2D sonar pinging but not Mega SI+

Ok guys, two Helix units side by side. my new mega SI+ Transducer is interfering with my separate 2D Transducer because theyre pretty close together. I looked to try to stop only the 2D sonar pinging on the unit with only the Mega Transducer plugged into it but if I de-select the 2D sonar source in the networking part of the menu my side imaging gets messed up (???).

What am I missing? Seems like there’s a simple fix in the menu for this that I’m just not seeing. I thought I could de-select the sonar source for each function individually (2D, DI, SI).

How do I get a Mega SI+ Transducer to ONLY ping the SI and shut off the pinging of the DI and 2D? I only want the SI actively running on this one unit.

Connect both transducers to the SI unit or only use the SI transducer and share sonar data to the other unit via Ethernet.
    Either disconnect the 2D transducer and turn Sonar OFF or just turn Sonar OFF with the 2D unit and share all from the SI unit.

One source for SI/DI/2D will prevent cross-talk.

You can't deselect you can only select the source for each technology in each unit's Network menu.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Humminbird doesn’t offer the ability to stop pinging for an individual function like Lowrance does? With a Lowrance 3-1 you can just go into the menu and stop 2D pinging only.

With the proximity of the Mega SI+ Transducer to everything else on/near the transom I’d rather not have it interfering with a high-end 2D Transducer running through a separate (often not a Helix) unit for example. I like the ability to swap out units/brands as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by mnmatt View Post
    Humminbird doesn’t offer the ability to stop pinging for an individual function like Lowrance does? With a Lowrance 3-1 you can just go into the menu and stop 2D pinging only.

With the proximity of the Mega SI+ Transducer to everything else on/near the transom I’d rather not have it interfering with a high-end 2D Transducer running through a separate (often not a Helix) unit for example. I like the ability to swap out units/brands as needed.

Humminbird units don't have two transducer ports where you can select another transducer for 2D sonar instead of using the 2D piezo in the 3 in 1.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    Understood. But on a lowrance 3-1 you can run SI and not ping the 2D sonar element in the unit menu... for the one Transducer plug. Humminbird really runs all sonar functions all the time with no option to stop pinging?

Understood. But on a lowrance 3-1 you can run SI and not ping the 2D sonar element in the unit menu... for the one Transducer plug. Humminbird really runs all sonar functions all the time with no option to stop pinging?
    With a Side Imaging unit, you can turn off Side Imaging and make the unit a 2D-only unit---all SI models can do that. The MEGA SI units can be a Down Imaging/2D unit, or just a 2D unit with a Connected Transducer setting change. All units with GPS can be a Chart Plotter only by turning Sonar OFF.

There is one way to only have Side Imaging alone, use the 360 as a Side Imaging transducer and turn Sonar OFF .
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

7. Banned
    The Solix units have the ability to turn off sonar only. One of mine is running SI only while the other one is running 2d/di on a seperate transducer. On the SI unit I have 2d and di set to off.

A buddy is running Helix gn3 and a gen 1 di unit on seperate transducers. Our installer did something in the 2d chirp settings and the DI on the gen 1 is on 455. The interference is very slight.

Quote Originally Posted by pfisher View Post
    The Solix units have the ability to turn off sonar only. One of mine is running SI only while the other one is running 2d/di on a seperate transducer. On the SI unit I have 2d and di set to off.

A buddy is running Helix gn3 and a gen 1 di unit on seperate transducers. Our installer did something in the 2d chirp settings and the DI on the gen 1 is on 455. The interference is very slight.
    The first and second generation Helix DI units use 455 kHz for 2D sonar by default, they are 200/455 kHz units. All DI units up to the MEGA DI+ are standard 200/455 kHz. Your installer didn't do "something".
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    The first and second generation Helix DI units use 455 kHz for 2D sonar by default, they are 200/455 kHz units. All DI units up to the MEGA DI+ are standard 200/455 kHz. Your installer didn't do "something".
    What?? The 12 gn3 is running di and si in mega with the gen 1 running in 455. There was interference in the 2d pretty bad so he adjusted the chirp range and the majority of the interference is gone. Something was done.

10. Member
    This should work for G3N units: Use a Y cable and leave the 2D (of the Y cable)unplugged .

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassTracker175 View Post
    This should work for G3N units: Use a Y cable and leave the 2D (of the Y cable)unplugged .
    Question: would this possibly damage the 2D circuit since it's unloaded?
    Last edited by granite; 06-03-2020 at 02:28 PM.

12. Member
    To be honest, I don’t know.

Quote Originally Posted by granite View Post
    Question: would this possible damage the 2D circuit since it's unloaded?