Question Recessed trolling Motor pedal

First i would like to say hello iam a new member to the forum and i have been out of bass boating for several years.
    Iam fortunate enough to have grand sons who fish and have gotten me back into bass fishing more, not that i ever quit i just did it with small boat.
    I have a grandson who is on college fishing team , so last fall I bought a 2003 TZx 190 with 150 Yamaha and we are trying to get it setup for the college circuit.
    My first question is can we flush mount trolling motor pedal the way it is now it kills my hip after a few hours of fishing as iam no spring chicken.
    My second question is previous transducer for hummingbird was mounted on motor jack plate and I noticed we got a lot of bogus readings
    we have since replaced with new finders and I think we should mount transducer on pad of boat for accuracy. Don't want to glass it in cause of work to do that.
    I would appreciate any help that I get and as we go along iam sure I will have more questions

2. Member
    Hey Trapper! WELCOME !!! You’ll find a lot of great help here from a lot of nice people.

Question 1 - http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=78033 - I found this old thread of someone having a recessed trolling motor tray installed on a tzx190, as well as other models too. Just recently did mine on a 2002 zx225, easy job and it looks great. Sometimes in the older threads the pictures won’t show or aren’t available anymore so make sure to read through it.

Question 2 - I’m not sure how the older transducer was attached to the jack plate, but, in my opinion, if it mounted properly with a transducer shield/bracket you should get the best images possible. When I moved my transducer it made it so much easier to get clearer images, especially on side-imaging. Also the lower you move it, the more risk you have of bumping it or damaging it. They are expensive haha.

I’m certainly not the most knowledgeable person in this world, but hopefully something I said there can help!

Best of of luck to you.
    2002 Skeeter ZX225 w/ 2004 Mercury Optimax 225

3. Member
    Welcome !
    For the trolling motor pedal - once you recess it, you'll love it.
    For the transducer - can you glue a piece of starboard or plastic cutting board (doubled up), to the transom? Then mount transducer to that?

4. Member
    I dont know how many supports i will have to cut through to put tray in, and iwould like yo see how other people are putting transducer on boat.
    Yes that is what i was wanting to do was glue a plate on and mount transducer but i have fear of knocking it off .

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trapper54 View Post
    I dont know how many supports i will have to cut through to put tray in, and iwould like yo see how other people are putting transducer on boat.
    Yes that is what i was wanting to do was glue a plate on and mount transducer but i have fear of knocking it off .
    I had a 2004 190. For the tray install I cut partially through one brace at the rear of the hole for the tray. The brace was wood. When I was done, I coated the wood with epoxy to keep it weather proof. Measure twice, cut once!
    2018 Skeeter ZX250
    2018 Yamaha SHO 250

6. Member
    Thank you that's what I was hoping to hear from someone who had done it Thanks

7. Member
    I'm no spring chicken either. I love the recessed tray I installed in mine. It's a back saver.