Thumbs Up Don and European Marine spoiled me.....

I don't know how I can ever go to another marine repair shop. On a trip from MD to Fl, I decided to detour to European Marine and let Don do a "12 year review" of my Mercury Optimax. I made an appointment and had some standard stuff I wanted done (plugs, belts, etc), but asked Don to also work on some squirrelly problems (remote oil reservoir incorrect level readings).

At 56 years old, and a decent shade tree mechanic, I have NEVER had any person show such attention to detail when working on ANY mechanical/electrical device I have ever owned. I have my engine regularly serviced/maintained at 4 different shops in MD. I rotate through them as I have always had some issue crop up with them. The scary part is he showed me problems that I can't believe NO shop ever brought to my attention. While I work on my own vehicles, I have been hands-off on the Optimax. Now I am really scared to take the motor to any other shop if I need service, Don and his crew have set a standard that I KNOW no one around here can, or cares to match. Problem is that Don is 600 miles away from me!

When I got there the first day, there was another fella who had driven 250 miles for service, I think that says a lot. The best part is that Don EXPLAINED all his actions to me and went into detail about "why" he was recommending a particular service. Again, their level of service and interaction with the customer is beyond anything I have ever experienced.

If you need someone to work a problem no one else can solve or just want to be sure you get honest service, European Marine sets the bar high!

BAM

2. Scraps
    You've justified 4 annual trips to FLA!
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

3. Member
    Yep. And the only guy I use. It's about a 2.5 hour drive for me, but well worth it.

4. Member
    I wish he was closer to me. I think last time I looked it was about 5 hours

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    You've justified 4 annual trips to FLA!
    Great idea, thanks!!!

6. Member
    I was the other guy there that day. Don fixed my motor up as well. How was your trip?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kbad View Post
    I was the other guy there that day. Don fixed my motor up as well. How was your trip?
    Hi Kbad,

It was a blast! No trophies, but plenty of action and a number of 3-5 pounders.....weather was awesome and I thoroughly enjoyed the Camp Mack experience and getting to learn the Kissimmee chain. I plan to go back for sure!

Hope you are well, BAM

8. Member
    Don--The man, the myth, the legend!

9. Scraps
    There just seem to be many that may appear good, but aren't. Last year at a perceived reputable shop they told me I couldn't use the prop vent plugs cuzz it put the prop out of balance. Same guys told me it was impossible that my tandem trailer had only one bleeder in the brake circuit. Wrong.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

10. Member
    Awesome. Glad you had a good trip.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    There just seem to be many that may appear good, but aren't. Last year at a perceived reputable shop they told me I couldn't use the prop vent plugs cuzz it put the prop out of balance. Same guys told me it was impossible that my tandem trailer had only one bleeder in the brake circuit. Wrong.
    I would stay away from that shop.
    That's what the vent holes are made for to plug and go or adjust the pvs holes for the best hole shot.
    Each wheel should have ,making it 4 bleeder screw for your trailer.like your car or truck.Run don't walk away.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Thanks for the kind words- glad to hear your trip went well! Look forward to seeing you down the road.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

13. Member
    Guys, I have to totally agree. Now that I am within 2 hours of Don's shop, it makes it a lot easier to get to him (N IL to SC was not really an option LOL). Best service around!

14. Member
    Consider driving from WA to SC, probably more economical to ship my engine to Don than drive there and back.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax