Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Vexus new livewell design question?

It seems many people are impressed/excited about the new livewell design used by Vexus, but to me it is a solution looking for a problem.

In my 25 years fishing tourneys have not had a problem with any of the boats livewells I have had as long as I kept the pumps running.

Are you guys having a problem with your current livewells?

2. Member
    Livewell has a large capacity when filled to top. It keeps the air gap out of livewell which can fill up with ammonia gas. The livewell being full is also better on the fish on rough water rides because the water doesn’t slosh and beat the fish up.

Quote Originally Posted by chris c View Post
    Livewell has a large capacity when filled to top. It keeps the air gap out of livewell which can fill up with ammonia gas. The livewell being full is also better on the fish on rough water rides because the water doesn’t slosh and beat the fish up.
    I understand how they work but alive is alive correct??

Quote Originally Posted by chris c View Post
    Nah.

Ammonia is so soluble in water you'd never be able to have any ammonia gas build up above a livewell before your fish are dead. Ammonia is dangerous to fish in livewells when it's dissolved in the water.

5. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    The vt-2 vents solved that problem for me..... My 98 Sprint 207 never costs me a fish.....

Being able to fill.them up all the way keeps the fish from.sloshing around as well but the v t2 vents solved the gas and heat issue...great product...not have another boat without them..
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

Obviously An innovation, that only Nitro has resolved for 15+ years. They just came up with a different way of doing it.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

8. Member
    You wont be able to run them full like that all the time or you will have dead fish a lot. Theres no air contact to get oxygen back in the water or way to get gases out. It's just for running purposes like they say

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    The vt-2 vents solved that problem for me..... My 98 Sprint 207 never costs me a fish.....
    There is a difference between a fish being alive at the weigh in and a fish still swimming a week later. I applaud them for trying to create a better live well.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

10. Member
    If I don’t plug my overflow drain I lose water through it on rough water rides.If I plug it,I can fill my wells all the way but I lose aeration. Seems like it would be the same with them unless they have a different type of aeration system.

11. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    There is a difference between a fish being alive at the weigh in and a fish still swimming a week later. I applaud them for trying to create a better live well.
    Oh no doubt....innovation is a great thing....I agree.....I have a hard time chasing the bass down in the livewell to put them in the bag....don't think they died because of my livewells.....

12. Member
    All of the saltwater boats have live wells like Vexus now has. Nothing new here. I do like the feature in a bass boat.
    2003 Stroker with 2014 SHO
    2012 21RDC Bullet with 2016 SHO

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrostick View Post
    Nope. Alive isn’t alive. I’ve seen fish swim off only to float up several feet away. Just because they’re alive in your weigh in bag and swim off when you release, doesn’t mean they live another day.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrostick View Post
    No not at all. Your fish need to be able to survive healthy. Not just alive enough to swim off and die later.

The livewell on the vexus Will close the overflow to keep your livewells full when running. If you ever fished big water, you know you’ll lose a ton of your water out the livewell overflow when riding those big waves. The less water you have in there, the more the fish beat around in the sides/tops of the livewells. Vexus did a great job on the livewells.

15. Member
    Add some oxygenators to those and that would solve that problem running full. The fish in mine have their nose stuck to them every time I look.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    You wont be able to run them full like that all the time or you will have dead fish a lot. Theres no air contact to get oxygen back in the water or way to get gases out. It's just for running purposes like they say
    This is going to be the major problem is air and water aren’t mixed then you had no Dissolved oxygen in the water and then you have dead fish. I understand the thinking when running tough water I plug my over flow to fill the wells up all the way but drain it back down soon as the long run is over.
    Gun Control..... Is hitting your target every time

17. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    So what/how is the livewell design in the Vexus???? Havent seen it...
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    So what/how is the livewell design in the Vexus???? Havent seen it...

It has a double lid design, the pumps fill up to the inside lid and it basically is like putting the top on a bucket. Keeps water from sloshing due to no air being in the livewell. They claim the fish can’t get sloshed around with a packed full of water livewell.

Not a vacuum, but a similar principle.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    It has a double lid design, the pumps fill up to the inside lid and it basically is like putting the top on a bucket. Keeps water from sloshing due to no air being in the livewell. They claim the fish can’t get sloshed around with a packed full of water livewell.

Not a vacuum, but a similar principle.
    I believe this is optional by throwing a switch and used for long rough runs, I wouldn't want my fish in there throughout a tourney day...you would most likely have a couple jump out when trying to cull or add fish to the well.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TopGun21x View Post
    I believe this is optional by throwing a switch and used for long rough runs, I wouldn't want my fish in there throughout a tourney day...you would most likely have a couple jump out when trying to cull or add fish to the well.
    They wont jump out. They will be dead. The oxygen in that water wont last much time without any way for gases to vent or any oxygen transfer. Its ONLY for running rough water

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast