Question 1999 2.5L EFI 200 question.

1999 Merc 2.5L 200 EFI. Serial # 0G883040
    Motor locked up in September. Started tearing it down to swap my electrical and fuel components onto another shortblock. When I pulled the heads this evening, #5 and #6 pistons look like they weren’t gettingg oil. This motor was all original and still had the oil injection hooked up. Do I need to send my injectors off to be cleaned/tested? I’m planning on pre-mixing when I get the replacement put back together.
    Last edited by StratDude; 03-18-2019 at 06:53 PM.
    1999 Ranger R91 / Mercury 200 EFI.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Check your rod bearings and wrist pin bearings. If you're not getting oil it's very likely you will see catastrophic engine-wide damage (not just two pistons).

You need to determine the cause of the failure. Being as 5-6 were the cylinders down, suspects would likely be injectors, injector harness, or the most common culprit: ECU driver down for 5-6.

If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Rod bearings blew apart on both rods. Both rods are bent. And made 1 small hole in the crank cover at #5 and 2 amall holes in the crank cover at #6. There’s also some rust in the top of both cylinders.

I’m seriously considering going with carbs now instead of the EFI.

These forums and all the information provided are great.
    Between reading on here and another forum, and looking at the pics of my blown motor, I think it’s possible that the gasket between my block and exhaust plate may have failed and allowed water to get into the #5 and #6 cylinders.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Rust in the cylinders and bent rods... You almost certainly ingested water.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

I agree. Haven’t determined how. But I’m not worried about it now. The block has too much internal damage to consider rebuilding.