First time at Kerr Results.....

Well guys you saw my post a couple weeks ago about going to Kerr for my first time and let me say I was mind boggled!!! This lake is the biggest lake I have ever been on, the weather was horrible, the water was cold in most places, and it was flat out muddy. I also felt like this lake was so featureless except for point after point after point. Let me also remind you that I am not a great fisherman and have only been fishing hard for about 4-5 years.

Practice.... The weekend of the 8-9th was ok. It was a little chilly and a little windy. I spent about 5 hours on the lake Saturday only fished and hour or so and spent the other 4 hours looking and graphing. No Fish!!! Sunday I went back out and spent another 5 hours or so on the lake 2-3 graphing and looking and 2-3 hours fishing. I caught 3 fish one was 4lbs 11 oz, another 3lbs 4 oz, and another 3lb even. Not bad right??? WRONG!!! All 3 fish were caught in 10 cast on the same point. No other fish were to be seen.

Practice again... I went out Friday the 15th for another round of practice. Yes the wind was blowing 20-30. Waves over the bow all day long. I managed to catch 2 fish about 2.5-3 pounds. My brother caught 1. So now that practice is done I felt like the fish I was catching was decent but not catching enough.

Tourney Day... We blast off at 8:00 I go to my first spot and within 5 cast I caught 1 about 2 pounds. About 20 minutes later my brother caught 1. So I am thinking it is going to be ok. Not another bite till an hour before weigh in. In the last hour we managed to squeak out a limit. Off to weigh in we go. We get back and have like 15 minutes, so we pull the rods back out and fish a rock point at the ramp (North Bend Ramp) and my brother catches one that culls us up about a pound. So the result was we finished 4th, with 10.87 pounds and our big fish was 2.83. The winning weight was 13.?? Big fish was 3.95.

Overview... I was pleased with my performance with having never fished that lake before, but my biggest mistake was to much running and not staying where I caught all but 1 fish for the day. We probably wasted 1.5-2 hours running to try and find warmer water.

Key points... All but a couple fish in my Kerr debut (practice and Tourney) were caught on a war eagle 3/4 ounce white spinner bait with double Colorado blade with a 5" caffeine shad trailer. A few fish were caught on a 5/16 war eagle finesse spinnerbait with 4" trailer (caffeine shad), 1 on a trap, and 1 on a jig. Most fish were caught in the warmest water I could find on secondary points and at the end of the day in the very back of coves.

I had fun and enjoyed the challenge of a new lake and want to go fish it again in about 2-3 weeks. Then they should be chewing good.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

2. Member
    Sounds like you did great breaking down a new body of water. Congratulations.

3. Member
    Keep after it sir!! No one catches them every time. I try to walk away from the lake head high no matter the outcome and use that knowledge to better myself the next time. Good luck this year and slip lots of drag along your way

4. Banned
    It is a big lake for sure. Usually for me they start to click about the 2nd week in April + or -. Congrats that you guys were able to get a limit.

Great job for your first trip to the lake.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Nice job and thanks for sharing your details. I think your info will help others when approaching new water. Great job!

7. Member
    Good job on new water.

8. Member
    I am sorry for posting in general forums I meant to post it on VA forum . Is there anyway i can move it there or can a moderator move it?
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758