Thread: Dead Battery?

Dead Battery?

My boat is in storage and there is not power in the unit. My cranking batter is dead and cant trim the motor up. Any recommendations on how to get the motor up. Was thinking about using a emergency jumper tool or removing the battery and taking it home to charge and bring it back. Any ideas would be great. Thanks

2. Marty Donlea
    do you have trolling motor batteries ?

3. Member
    Yes 3 wired in series

4. Member
    take them out of series and uses one of those batteries as your main battery to trim up the motor.

5. Member
    Just use jumper cables from one trolling motor battery to your starting battery. No need to disconnect them. One (1) T battery.... Negative to negative, positive to positive, just like you were jumping a car battery.
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

6. Member
    Take it home and see if it will take a charge, may need replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed R View Post
    Just use jumper cables from one trolling motor battery to your starting battery. No need to disconnect them. One (1) T battery.... Negative to negative, positive to positive, just like you were jumping a car battery.
    The TM batteries might be weak if they have been sitting all winter. I would still try and see what happens. Is it possible to pull the boat forward enough with the motor down to get your truck close enough to use jumper cables from your truck?

Use the manual release on the tnt?

9. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Use the manual release on the tnt?
    Yep...there is a manual release, at least on Mercury outboards. Don't know about other brands. I really don't remember how to do it, but if you have the outboard owner's manual it will explain it. Or...someone will come along and explain it here.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

10. Member
    Have it load tested after being charged.

11. Banned
    I would pull 2 batteries just in case one doesn't take a charge go home and charge them up.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed R View Post
    this...

Please dont try this.....if you get it wrong it'll be ugly! Just unhook the third one in the series

13. Member
    By your post you don’t know how to manually raise or lower your outboard. Simply get your hands on a large standard screw driver and standing on the port side you should see a window in the clamp casting. Put the screw driver into the window and turn the screw that you will find in it counter clockwise about 1 to 2 turns out. From there grab the outboard by the cavitation plate and lift it. It will be a little heavy but not to bad. Lift it higher than you need so you can lean in and tighten the screw before it bleeds back down. Be sure to tighten that screw once your battery wows are taken care of. Good luck to ya

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaBassMan View Post
    this...

Please dont try this.....if you get it wrong it'll be ugly! Just unhook the third one in the series
    I agree,
    You might damage some wiring and not see it even. If done properly you need to select the most negative battery. Either bring one from home with jumpers on it, charge the battery and bring it back, do it manually, or replace the main with a good trolling motor battery.

15. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    24v and 36V trolling motor batteries are wired in series to increase the voltage. If you hook jumper cables to one of the trolling motor batteries and the other end to your cranking battery you are making a parallel connection. Just make sure whatever trolling motor battery you use that you only use the + and - from that one particular battery....food for thought for those that think this is dangerous...trolling motor batteries are hooked in series. The leads from the battery charger going to them is hooked in parallel. As long as you stay parallel voltage is not increased

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    24v and 36V trolling motor batteries are wired in series to increase the voltage. If you hook jumper cables to one of the trolling motor batteries and the other end to your cranking battery you are making a parallel connection. Just make sure whatever trolling motor battery you use that you only use the + and - from that one particular battery....food for thought for those that think this is dangerous...trolling motor batteries are hooked in series. The leads from the battery charger going to them is hooked in parallel. As long as you stay parallel voltage is not increased
    There are bonding wires in many boats. They are from the most negative post on the battery to a common post, to dissipate static electricity from the fuel filler for instance and to generally stop nuisance currents. The trolling motor negative MIGHT be tied to this bond too and if you jump from the wrong battery you could effectively run 12 to 24 volts across it with the negative jumping wire becoming more positive. This is one reason to select, carefully, the most negative trolling motor battery. You might not even know you burn this jumper out, it should be a rather light wire.

Basics: before jumping from whatever tm batt to cranker, put your multi tester on the tm batt (with tester volts switched to max tm series voltage i.e. 24, 36). If the tester shows you 12v, jump away.

18. Member
    What size motor?
    When my boat was winterized, I removed the batteries. I had to basic maintenance on it or check up on it. I'll bring a small 12v SLA battery with me. I think it's only a 7 or 8ah battery. It had no problems with lowering and raising my Mercury 60 4-stroke motor.