Trolling motor interference with new Garmin

I have a new Garmin 93sv echomap and when I turned on my trolling motor I had interference on the 2d sonar. This is in a jon type of boat using a transom mount trolling motor hooked directly to the battery. The fish finder is wired to a fuse block. Any ideas on what I can do? I do have a little 12 volt battery from my ice fishing fish finder that I can use if I have to. Should using a second battery source clear it up?

The older trolling motors were not grounded. Run a ground from your bow ground buss to the skeg on the trolling motor. This should do the trick.
    My new Ultrex has not caused an issue!
    Last edited by ifishinxs; 03-18-2019 at 01:30 PM.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    The older trolling motors were not grounded. Run a ground from your bow ground buss to the skeg on the trolling motor. This should do the trick.
    My new Ultrex has not caused an issue!
    LOL, I have not idea what that means. This is just a transom mount trolling motor with the a positive and a negative. I take the trolling motor off after fishing each day.

4. Member
    Is the trolling motor on the same battery as the Garmin? This is a no-no, but it will help if you run a ground from the skeg to the negative clip/battery.
    I have a boat.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Husertim View Post
    Is the trolling motor on the same battery as the Garmin? This is a no-no, but it will help if you run a ground from the skeg to the negative clip/battery.
    Yes, had no problem with my older humminbird. This is a small boat and can only hold one big battery. I do have the small ice fishing battery as mentioned though.

Yup, a second battery will fix it.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089