BRP Drive by wire throttle control very stiff...

Hello. New to this board, from Long Island New York, first post on this board and looking for some help. I am the proud owner of a 2012 Evinrude E-Tec 150 25" shaft, 15" X 15" prop with "drive by wire controls" and the digital tach/guage/info center. All was mounted in 2011 on a 21' Bayliner Trophy 2110 Cuddy. Not sure, but top RPM's may be about 5200. The model number and serial number off the plate are E150DPXINE and 05317239 respectively. My issue is with the side mounted controls (see picture attached). Toward the end of last season, the control became very stiff when throttling up in forward gear as well as reverse. I have been searching online as well as YouTube on the proper procedure for lubricating the controls but have been unsuccessful. I have also been looking for an IPB (illustrated parts breakdown) which I could follow if I need to disassemble the control to free it up, unsuccessful there as well. If somebody could provide me with these manual type of documents or direct me to a link which would allow me to download these documents, I would greatly appreciate it. Any and all comments and suggestions are welcomed. I am a mechanic so please feel free to "lingo" away. This will be my first attempt at working on this new rig since the warrantee expired. I usually do all my own work except for when I have a warrantee. This rig replaced a 1974 Johnson 150 with manual controls which gave me a TON of experience in the repairing of marine stuff. I would like to thank everyone in advance for their assistance in helping me solve this sticky problem.

Ray
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum! Here is a link for the parts break down for your ICON control box. Hope this helps.

https://www.marineengine.com/parts/j...6440&sid=66512

3. Member
    ChampioNman.....Thank you for the breakdown link. This will help me out alot. How do I remove the center rubber release button cover to expose the throttle arm retainer?? Don't want to break anything in case it's unavailable.

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Should pop right off with some gentle prying.

5. Member
    Great. Thank you again. I'm sure I'll have more questions for you once the weather warms up a bit and I get that throttle control off the boat. Without it off and in my hands, I don't yet have any idea where the binding may be occurring so that I can clean it up and lubricate it. From the pictorial, I'm thinking maybe on the back of the control where the pictorial does not show the breakdown. Could you link me to a pictorial of the disassembly/reassembly/adjustment procedure of the throttle chassis or casing? Would hate to disassemble it and have springs and things pop off and not know where they came from. Is there a cover back there which can be removed to get inside to clean and lube? Any insight concerning this would be EXTREMELY helpful. In the neutral position (button pushed and throttle forward) the throttle is free and rev's up easily, the stiffness is throttling up in forward or reverse gear. Thank you again for all your help.
    Last edited by RacinRay; 03-25-2019 at 11:27 AM.

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Nope nothing hidden on the back side. Bad thing is most all of the parts are no longer available, so if something is wrong internally you can't get a replacement for it.

7. Member
    Wonderful. Would ICON II parts fit, or can it be directly replaced by an ICON II control?