Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

03 225HO Idle & Low RPM

I have an 03 225HO Evinrude (I will get the serial # tonight) and it has become hard to start and runs rough at low RPM, but not all the time. Once you get above about 2k RPM it smooths out and runs very well. Top end not affected at all. Once I get to my spot and fish, sometimes it hard to restart (acts like it gets flooded) and then when it does start it smokes alot. Smokes clears up pretty quick. I replaced the fuel ball and fuel water/separator but it didnt seem to change anything. I ran some Evinrude fuel system cleaner(beige colored bottle I got from dealer) through and didnt change anything. I ran the fuel tank very low and filled it back up completely and no change.
    The best description I can think of is it acts like it has some water in the gas tank, once you get it wound up it runs good and smooth with no issue. But starting and low rpm, another story.
    Suggestions

BTW: Whatever happened to Rusty63 on the BBC?

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    How are your spark plugs?
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    He is still a member here. It may be awhile to get a response from him his last post was in 2008.

4. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Spark plugs clean and gapped .028 tight....has the exhaust pressure sensor been cleaned or replaced lately...Your symptoms Always was an indicator to check the plugs..... If the exhaust pressure sensor has not been cleaned or replaced I'd do that also.

5. Member
    Model E225FHLSTA
    Serial #05011178
    Date of manufacturer 09/2002

The plugs look tan/brown from the middle up and black from the middle toward the tip. I didnt check the gap, couldnt remember what is was suppose to be, .028 so I will check and reset.
    I have never replaced or done anything to the exhaust pressure sensor and am not sure if it has ever been since I owned it. Been since 06. I had it to C&O once when I lived in TN but that was for a water pump and something (cant remember) when I had them install a Hambys.

I had it to Morristown Marine in TN once in about 12 or 13 cant remember what they did but it was for a similar issue. I cant find the paperwork.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    He is still a member here. It may be awhile to get a response from him his last post was in 2008.
    I looked him up and saw he doesnt post anymore, last I knew he was still in TN working for a marine dealer but he took another job and poof he was gone. He checked the motor out when I bought it near Nashville, if I remember correctly he worked on it when the previous owner had it. I know he knew her

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    How are your spark plugs?
    200, 225, 250 Ficht/DI (incl. HO) 1999 - 2006 QC12PEP
    QC10WEP

From the spark plug chart Seahorse posted at the top. Which one is better? I am currently running QC10WEP

8. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbass View Post
    I looked him up and saw he doesnt post anymore, last I knew he was still in TN working for a marine dealer but he took another job and poof he was gone. He checked the motor out when I bought it near Nashville, if I remember correctly he worked on it when the previous owner had it. I know he knew her
    We are good friends and speak to each other, He worked for three shops that I know of in the area. Riverside in Old Hickory. C&O 2 in Gallatin and Music City in Lebanon. He hooked up with BRP and is now working for them. They keep him very busy and he has no time to post here. So you're stuck with us sorry.

9. Member
    My buddy Rusty63, miss him and the PartsChick from Riverside Marine.

10. Member
    We are good friends and speak to each other, He worked for three shops that I know of in the area. Riverside in Old Hickory. C&O 2 in Gallatin and Music City in Lebanon. He hooked up with BRP and is now working for them. They keep him very busy and he has no time to post here. So you're stuck with us sorry.
    Always good sound advice here, no issue with that.
    When a fellow BBC'er comes in on a Holiday weekend to check a boat motor as a favor for a guy who lived 700 miles away you tend not to forget that guy.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    Spark plugs clean and gapped .028 tight....has the exhaust pressure sensor been cleaned or replaced lately...Your symptoms Always was an indicator to check the plugs..... If the exhaust pressure sensor has not been cleaned or replaced I'd do that also.
    Checked the plugs, all indexed and gap was about .030 so I reset to .028 notice two of them had a little more soot on the end than the others. Not alot, it just left a little black on your hand more than the others. Not sure what cylinder numbers are what, they were the top and bottom plugs on the starboard(right) side

I have been reading all I can find on the exhaust fitting on BBC and other sites I can find, Seahorse post on alot of sites! Sounds like that might be my issue/ I am going to check it out tomorrow after work and see how it looks. Not good I suspect since it hasnt been touched in years, no idea how manys. I do run XD100.

12. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    If you are still running the qc12 plugs they will soot up some....especially if you're not running a full synthetic oil or do a lot of idleing......the thing to look for is a white spot on the ground anode....that will tell you that plug is firing....This I was told by Rusty.....an 03 if that exhaust pressure sensor hasn't been changed in this long......It would cause a crappy idle.... hell the tip may be burnt off. The best thing to do with these engines is to change the thermostats to the etec ones and plugs to the qc10wep. Etec stat part #5005440.

13. Member
    Ok, pulled the exhaust pressure sensor and it wasnt bad, no visble soot on the outside. I cleaned what soot there was in it, nothing in the holes, but a little in the inside. There was some soot that came out of the hose going up too, i tried to make sure I got whatever was in the hose out.

I am running the QC10WEP plugs, I am going to put in new ones just so I can rule that out. I have a small club tx saturday so we will see.

How can I find out what has been done to this motor, I think it had some top end work when it was new and a lower unit too when Emily ran it. Rusty told me what was done but that was too long ago and I cant remember what he said.

Your gonna like this, I found some parts. Yeah, I said that. I found some parts. The first thing I found was in the lower motor cover on the starboard side, it looks like a freeze plug. About the size of between and nickel and a quarter and has the numbers 484753 on it. I hope it is just something someone left in there when they worked it. Second thing I found looks like a piece of tubing but on inspection it is to straight on the ends to be a piece of clear tubing broken off. It looks like it was a bushing, about a 1/4" diameter center hole and 1" long. It is broken in pieces because it is brittle, it was laying on top of the intake manifold on the starboard side. I have been looking at parts diagrams and cant figure out what it is.

piece #2.1.jpgpiece #2.jpg
    Last edited by Kbass; 03-19-2019 at 06:24 PM.

14. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Thats the sleeve for the throttle roller. You've probably found you issue. Not letting the throttle plates to fully open. 0484753 is a replacement power head tag. Seeing she was a pro, there should be warranty work recorded with Evinrude. You can call BRP customer care with the serial number for service that was performed. After the year is up further work may not be recorded.

15. Member
    Thats the sleeve for the throttle roller. You've probably found you issue. Not letting the throttle plates to fully open. 0484753 is a replacement power head tag. Seeing she was a pro, there should be warranty work recorded with Evinrude. You can call BRP customer care with the serial number for service that was performed. After the year is up further work may not be recorded.
    Got the part installed and plan to take it out this weekend, we had a storm and the river was to high to get out this past Saturday. with the new roller and exhaust pressure sensor cleaned hopefully things will be better.

Dont shot me if this has been asked before, is there somewhere I can buy the diagnostic software for my motor? I see alot of info about it on the internet, some dealers sell it some dont. Some of what you can find may be pirated, etc and not a BRP product. I found something out of CA but not sure about it. Any suggestions?

16. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    I have heard that the stuff they sell on EBay is from an eastern block country. I have never used it, I have the factory diag kit. If you want an official version, I believe Barnacle Bill's in NJ sells it.

17. Member
    Thanks for the info. I looked on Ebay and your right most of what I saw is from places that I am not going to buy it. I will check with Barnacle Bills

18. Member
    I found one on ebay that the seller was in the states, i think he was the only one. It was like $60 and works just fine. I think it was Unlimited Ventures out of Fl maybe.
    2004 Ranger 521VX with 2019 Evinrude G2 250 H.O.

19. Member
    I got out this weekend and no change. It is still hard to start and missing at low RPM's. From idle through low RPM for no wake zone it missing and runs rough. Once you load the motor to get on plane it smooths out and runs good. When I shut down to fish, its hard to get restarted and when I finally do I have to hit the throttle to clear it out. Its all loaded up when it finally restarts and smokes alot when I hit the throttle.

I cleaned the exhaust pressure sensor and replaced the broken throttle roller.

I was able to get some software so I am going to hook it up tonight to see what codes might be there. I am only going to connect it up not running tonight.
    Any suggestions?

20. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    No need to run it to get any codes, just turn the key to on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast